DEP - Setting Supervision in Prestage Enrollment, pairing not working?

tayloranbcsc
New Contributor

We just our approval from Apple for the Device Enrollment Program and I've been testing everything out. I've set up a prestage enrollment profile and have applied it to a new set of iPads we just got in. Tested the enrollment on three iPads and everything is looking good, with the exception of supervision. The devices are supervised, but they seem to be the ignoging "Pairing" which "Allows devices to connect to other OS X devices" setting. I have that checked, but my devices can't connect to any devices. Tried both OS X and Windows machines. Thoughts? Am I just missing something?

9 REPLIES 9

mr_dent
New Contributor

In order for that option to be enabled, you first need to ensure the "Allows devices to connect...." box checked in the DEP Pre-stage section, which you have done. That essentially says it is now possible to turn the feature on via a profile. You then need to actually enable pairing with other devices via a configuration profile using the "Allow host pairing with the exception of the supervision host (Supervised devices only)" checkbox which I believe is off by default.

danewallace
New Contributor

I can verify that this issue persists even though both the DEP Pre-Stage setting and the allow host pairing setting have been applied. This persists across devices. The Mac will prompt for you to "Trust" the computer from the iOS device, however no "Trust" prompt appears.

corywbowers
New Contributor II

I am having this same issue. I verified the prestage enrollment has it enabled, and I went through every profile we have and made sure the host pairing is allowed. But when you look on an iPad with iOS 8 it shows "Pairing with iTunes not allowed" in the restrictions. Is this a Jamf bug?

millersc
Valued Contributor

@cbower what iOS is it specifically? It does sound like a bug. Might be worth talking with your TAM. I know 7.x works fine. Have not tried with 8.x yet.

corywbowers
New Contributor II

I can't say for sure at the moment but I think its happening on all of our iPads (iOS 7-8.1). Its just now in iOS 8 can we see the restrictions detail when you look at the profiles on the iPad in Settings.

I think we will have to talk with our TAM next, thanks!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

No problems here with iOS 8.0. Running JSS 9.51 now and when I enrolled with DEP. Have all the profiles been Edited and Saved, to be sure they are rewritten with possibly new iOS 8 features enabled? Try removing an iPad from each profile that is in scope one at a time..

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

I was having this issue however after doing the steps mr_dent provided, my issue was resolved.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

dominicanuofca
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem, and following mr_dent's suggestion, I checked out Configuration Profiles but the "Allow host pairing with the exception of the supervision host (Supervised devices only)" checkbox" doesn't seem to be available in JSS 9.8.1. In Configuration Profiles > Restrictions section I find a "Allow pairing with non-Configurator hosts (supervised only)" checkbox but that doesn't seem to be the same thing...?