Deploying El Capitan upgrade breaks JSS enrollment

jgwatson
Contributor

(Apologies in advance if I'm not using the correct terms.)

I have been deploying El Capitan to some of the Macs in my computer lab, by caching the OS first locally, and then deploying the update after it's been cached. For some reason after the update the iMacs JSS connection is broken. I've tried running sudo policy and sudo recon, but nothing happens. The only fix I have found is to reenroll the machine manually. How can I improve this workflow?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've used the same method a few times and the JSS connection is ok.

What version of JSS are you running?

jgwatson
Contributor

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

That should all be fine. The other possibility is the OS installer. I normally use the createosxinstallpkg script. What are you using to create the upgrade package?

jgwatson
Contributor

I just download the OS from the app store, and then drag that into Casper Admin, and then I deploy that. There is a video from Casper on how to do it.

Where did you get the script from?

Thanks

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

jgwatson
Contributor

Thanks I'll check it out.

rqomsiya
Contributor III

I second @davidacland ... Createosxinstallpkg works perfectly in my environment. Only downside is that since all my machines are FV2 enables users have to login every time the machine reboots during the upgrade process.

Haven't had luck with the policy option of enabling an authenticated fv2 login.

Jerod
New Contributor III

I used the instructions from JAMF and it works for me. There was an issue with one of the point releases of El Capitan that caused some issues, the general work around was to install an older version of El Capitan, then upgrade from there. Which version of El Capitan are you using?

rqomsiya
Contributor III

I used 10.11.3

ivanlovisi
New Contributor III

Stupid question: Has Casper Imaging the right JSS address?

the Labs imac are already enroll in jss?
because in my environment, Casper Imaging not has done a complete enrollment I had by pilicies installation always the error: Device Signature Error - A valid signature device is required to perform the action.

what do you mean by "breaks JSS enrollment"?