Deploying Monterey via MDM Command?

raymondap
Contributor

From what I had been reading, I thought it was possible to upgrade a Big Sur 11.3+ client to Monterey via the MDM "Download and Install Updates" command as long as the device was at the login window. In testing, that doesn't appear to be the case. Am I missing something, or am I just wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

raymondap
Contributor

This eventually worked for me. I'm not sure what the initial issue was, but I did successfully use a MDM command to upgrade a test machine from 11.6.1 to 12.0.1.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bcrockett
Contributor III

Where did you read that at? In the past, this was only possible with incremental releases. 

I've seen it mentioned a couple of places, but the most recent place I saw it was in the JNUC session on deploying Monterey. Go to about the 34:45 mark where he starts talking about methods to deploy Monterey. I was mistaken above, he says it's supported in 11.5+ not 11.3+

https://reg.jamf.com/flow/jamf/jnuc2021/sessioncatalog/page/sessioncatalog/session/1630680161255001t...

YanW
Contributor III

Not sure if Nudge can do upgrade. You can have a look.

We have a scripted way to do the upgrades, but that’s not what we’re looking for in this case. Since MDM method was mentioned in a JNUC presentation as the first bullet point, I had thought it was possible.

I’ll probably open a ticket with Jamf next week for confirmation.

raymondap
Contributor

This eventually worked for me. I'm not sure what the initial issue was, but I did successfully use a MDM command to upgrade a test machine from 11.6.1 to 12.0.1.