Deploying .pkg files

mqh7
New Contributor II

From the JSS web portal how/where do you add packages? And then how do you deploy these packages?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tomt
Valued Contributor

Matt, where in CA?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Curious, and I'm not trying to be rude at all, but, have you been through a JumpStart? Looking at the questions you've posted here in the last day or two, I get the feeling you haven't been through the basic training, as all of this would have been covered, in depth.

So, what is your situation? Are you in a trial? Purchased it but haven't had the JumpStart yet?

mqh7
New Contributor II

Hi, no offense taken. No, I've never been in the Jump Start class :-( I am a 100% "Windows Dude" and I've had the Mac stuff dropped on my plate, which I'm happy about so I can learn it. So I'm sorry for the newbie questions. I do SCCM and application packages for Windows so I was given this same kind of work for the Macs.

So we have about 100 Macs in production but none of them are managed by Casper yet. We just got about 15 of them inventoried today (I created the Recon package). We need Casper to work before we deploy more Macs so I am trying to show I can get inventory and deploy software.

I know how to create basic packages using Composer but I don't see where I add these packages to the JSS Server, then have the JSS Web Portal see the package and then use JSS web portal to deploy the package.

Thank you for your help.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi Matt,

I'd really advise you speak to your employer about doing a jump start.

Or maybe one of us could facilitate? Where in the world are you situated?

mqh7
New Contributor II

We are in California. I will ask about a Jump Start with management. I am a pretty good tech so I'm sure I'll read/figure it out long before approval is ever given to buy a Jump Start ;-)

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

In the interim before you can get a JumpStart, I'd advise looking through the QuickStart Guides that are included in the download. If you don't have the download for some reason, look under your JAMFNation account here, under My Assets to see if your download shows up there. If it doesn't, then go here http://www.jamfsoftware.com/resources/pdf-library and download the docs from the "Documentation" section. In particular the QuickStart guide is good at guiding you through specific tasks, like, uploading a pkg to your Casper Suite server without getting too bogged down.

Basically, you need to use the local Casper Admin.app to upload any packages. The app connects to your JSS distribution point (master one if you have more than one) and you simply drag and drop the pkg or DMG file into the interface. But, read through the QuickStart guide. It'll help tremendously.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Might want to get your boss to pay for CSE at the very least...

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/services/education

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tomt
Valued Contributor

Matt, where in CA?

mqh7
New Contributor II

SF Bay Area.

mqh7
New Contributor II

MM2270, I did what you said. I did a drag/drop of my package into the Casper Admin tool. I then when to my JSS web portal. Under "mobile device app catalogadd appScope" I then click on "add individual mobile device" and the list is blank. I am a little confused, are all Mac machines considered "mobile"?

I did download the .pdf files too. In the "quickstart_guild_for_mobile_device_management" on page 20 it covers adding things from the AppStore, not custom apps.

and there is no budget for any training. We only have 100 Mac's and 15,000 Windows machines so any training goes to the Windows' side of the house and even that has been cut way, way back.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

You want the regular quick start, not the mobile one. Casper also manages iPads and iPhones in addition to Macs.