Deploying printer driver using CASPER Composer

dan1989
New Contributor

Hi

I need help in the best solution to capture a printer driver through its installation, and the best way to deploy it to our network? We are needing this to be used on our Mac's.

What is the best method to do this?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Is the driver a standard pkg installer? If so, I'd just toss that in Casper Admin and deploy that.

hkim
Contributor II

As Jared said, which driver? Standard pkg based drivers like the HP or Xerox ones seem great. PITA ones like the Fiery Canon ones I've been having a hard time packaging for 10.8 make me just have to use Composer / fseventer to figure out what file are being placed where, what they all do, and what is needed to make it work with as llittle or no bloat as possible.

hkim
Contributor II

A few "best practices" I try to use when I have to repackage things using Composer.

Run it on a BaseOS. As clean as possible, no other software installed, like it's fresh out of the box. Only install Composer.app and nothing else on the box. Only download what you need (try not to even use Safari, bring the installer over via flash drive or over a network share). Do the time consuming but more accurate new and modified scan. Run the installer. Immediately after you feel comfortable that the software is installed as you plan, capture the changes, go through it and get rid of things that you know isn't part of the software package (like Preferences in the User folder talking about Finder prefs, Saved States, things, and if you are not sure, keep it, make the DMG, delete it, make another DMG, and test test test). Doing this in a VM might make things easier to at least create the capturing environment, but it could also raise issues with it being in a VM, and whatever strange things happen when it's not running on true Apple HW.

YMMV. Over the years, using Composer to repackage things has been less a science and more a subtle art, the more you do it, the better you get at recognizing what you do and don't need and what to test for.

dan1989
New Contributor

Hi

The installation package is for Ricoh MP C6501, I have capture the installation and need a suitable method to allow it be accessible by selected people and not broadcasted to everyone. We are using self-service as our system for distributing it. I normally just create a policy for software application but for printer drivers what would be the best method?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

RTFM. It's all there.

hkim
Contributor II

Printer Drivers are software after all, just a collection of files. You can scope these to Smart Groups like you probably already do hopefully.

dan1989
New Contributor

Hi sorry

reply:"jarednichols"
My IT manager is getting me to learn how to use casper, so I'm still learning various functions. So terms like RTFM I am unfamiliar with and how to work smart groups.

reply: "hkim"
So when you refer to scope, do you mean capture with composer like any other program? Load it onto "casper admin"
The

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I have to agree with Jared, this looks like another one of those "I don't know it, I don't want to study it, I just want you to do my thinking for me" threads. Not worth responding to, IMHO.

We're here to help people help themselves. We're not the benevolent association. If your boss is asking you to learn something, do your part and study. Or tell your boss to find someone who will.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

@jared

Careful! Over this side of the world RTFM DOES mean the one with the swear word!

We dont want anyone else kicking off!

LOL

acdesigntech
Contributor II

@jared : LMGDMFAO!!!!!

adkinsan
New Contributor III

Read The Fuzzy Manual

And thanks to hkim for outlining the process we follow for Composer. We have 235 different models of printer at our lab (HP, RIcoh, Canon, Konica, Kyocera, Lexmark, and Brother), and his process mirrors our own.

Packaging printer drivers are a good way to introduce yourself to using Composer, although I stil recommend you take the CCA class when you can.

hkim
Contributor II

Okay I was going to keep my mouth shut but ......

At one point all of us were n00bs. Completely new to technology, completely new to IT, completely new to OS X management, completely new to Casper with varying degrees of knowledge before tackling the software and it's concepts. Dan posted a question, this is a forum for questions, and I'm a true believer in there's no such thing as dumb questions, and that this forum should be used as a positive place for teach others, not mock others for lack of knowledge. Let's not degenerate ourselves into the typical internet forum where people who truly are lost and don't have a lot of background knowledge are scared to post a question because others might make them look dumb. We need to encourage those that have questions to ask them, not ridicule them.

Not everyone has access to the CCA course, and maybe it would be wise for the IT department that employs Dan to do either a JumpStart, or a host of other services that JAMF offers under expanded services to assist at this time.

http://www.jamfsoftware.com/services/expanded-services

All I'm saying is that we can do this without having to resort to mockery.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

@hkim

I normally wouldn't troll, but I have reason to in this case. Hit me off list if you'd like to know. I think everyone here knows me well enough to know that I like to help.