Deploying SugarSync

etippett
Contributor II

Has anyone been able to successfully deploy SugarSync? The installer available on their website is a .app wrapped in a DMG. It appears as though this installer app is exactly the same (size-wise anyway) as what ends up in the /Applications folder. The install process seems to be that it simply copies itself into the /Applications folder and then runs in some install mode as opposed to a normal run mode. It adds some stuff in /Library, as well as installs OSXFuse. I haven't figured out how it determines whether to be in install mode or run mode.

I've tried snapshotting it with Composer, but this does not produce a working copy. I've also tried investigating for switches to the .app and had no luck there. I emailed their tech support asking about administrative deployment options and was told "At this time, SugarSync does not have a feature in place to mass install onto multiple computers. This is a feature request we are aware of and making strides to provide this to our business customers, however, there is not expected release date." Grrrr...

Ultimately I'm trying to make SugarSync available as a SelfService install. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

4 REPLIES 4

jonnydford
Contributor II

Have you tried doing a new and modified snapshot on Composer with all programs closed? This should show you any files that SugarSync modifies too.

etippett
Contributor II

Unfortunately the new and modified snapshot didn't turn up any files in addition to what the standard snapshot found.

sean
Valued Contributor

Disclaimer - I'm not currently in a Casper environment.

We have a working copy, but this was built during the overlap of me taking over from my predecessor and I don't recall if I did this or he did; probably needs updating. I see no reason why this wouldn't have been achieved using a snapshot method.

Inside the package, excluding the app, I see the following file:

/._usr

and the following folders have a bunch of content:

/Library/Application Support
/Library/Filesystems
/Library/Frameworks
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/PreferencePanes
/usr/local/include
/usr/local/lib

If you are missing any of these, then check out the filter rules you have applied to snapshots.

etippett
Contributor II

Sean, thanks for the input. My diff in Composer is identical except for the /._usr file. I checked on the computer I installed SugarSync on to make the package from and that file doesn't exist--strange. Do you know what version of SugarSync is in your package? I wonder if something has changed between the version you have and the latest. Based on this thread https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=7381 it looks like the app used to be a drag and drop. Might you be willing to post your package somewhere for me to download and take a look at?

Thanks,
Eric