Determining JSS version on Linux

kitzy
Contributor III

Does anyone know if there’s an easy way to tell what version of the JSS webapp is installed on a Linux server without logging in to the webapp? I'm looking for a way to programmatically check multiple servers.

6 REPLIES 6

jack_bishop
New Contributor III

There are two ways that I can think of. The first is to grep the JAMFSoftwareServer.log. The version is written on every startup. The other is to check the version.xml inside the deployed application. It should be in $JSS_INSTALL/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xml. It holds all of the version of different binaries in a normal xml format.

I guess you could check the database for the version, but I haven't looked. You would think you could get this info pretty easy from the api, but its not there..

Emmert
Valued Contributor

The login page says what version you're running. Try this:

curl -s jss.isd623.org | awk '{gsub(/>/,">
",$0)}1' | grep version

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW, had to do this today on a Mac server running 10.1.1...yes, I know this is a Linux thread but figured someone searching might find this useful:

# xmllint -format /Library/JSS/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xml/version.xml | grep webApplicationVersion | cut -f2 -d ">" | cut -f1 -d "<"
10.1.1-t1513360285
--
https://donmontalvo.com

daworley
Contributor II

I don't know when this showed up, but there is also the JSSCheckConnection endpoint off the web app.

I found something like:

curl -sk https://jss.company.com:8443/JSSCheckConnection

works really well.

jelockwood
Contributor

I like the approach suggested by @donmontalvo better. This works even if the JSS webapp is not running or broken. It does however require you to have terminal access to the JSS server e.g. via SSH.

For the benefit of Linux server users due to the different file path the command would be -

xmllint -format /usr/local/jss/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xml/version.xml | grep webApplicationVersion | cut -f2 -d ">" | cut -f1 -d "<"

If your servers are working successfully then the approach suggested by @daworley is simpler.

m_donovan
Contributor III

If you don't have xmllint installed using cat worked for me.

sudo cat /usr/local/jss/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/xml/version.xml | grep webApplicationVersion | cut -f2 -d ">" | cut -f1 -d "<"