Device Enrollment for Multiple Sites

mhinsz
New Contributor III

Hoping to pick some brains on DEP workflows for a multiple site JSS setup. I only have 3 sites at the moment, and we are transitioning “imaging” process while incorporating DEP for the first time.

I understand we can set up multiple “virtual” MDM sites within Apple Business Manager, and then manually point Serial Numbers to specific sites with ABM. Would this be a preferred method to simply auto-enrolling everything within JAMF, and then configuring sites from there ?

Thanks for any thoughts

8 REPLIES 8

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@mhinsz the ideal solution would be to auto enroll in a single MDM server in ABM and then sort the sites out in Jamf. You could have a pop-up dialog using cocoaDialog or some other method that allowed you to choose the site a device should be in and then use the API to move the computer.

Automatically Moving Computer Records to a Site

That's one way. Or, you can just change the site in the Jamf Pro Server GUI.

Auto assignment in ABM is the easiest way because then you know all of your Macs are going to enroll. If you will only ever have 3 sites, and you do not mind the manual process of "registering" them to the right MDM server in ABM, you could do three separate MDM servers. We have over 50 different MDM servers, but we are working on collapsing that down to at least 6, but would prefer to get to just one or two.

swapple
Contributor III

We are going with the sorting at the ABM side and are not big fans (trying to limit going into ABM), would like to move to scripting it into our pre-enrollment so the build tech or end user can pick it but time and lack of script-fu is keeping us from fixing this.

MLBZ521
Contributor III

Depends on your workflow.

We have roughly 120 Sites, and around 90 DEP Tokens (aka MDM Servers in ABM/ASM) and this works just fine in regards to device assignment (minus the issues this causes because of Jamf/Apple).

While I do want to condense our large number of Sites, we will always have a DEP Token per Site. We have separate IT Groups that are completely unrelated that need to manage their own systems. I have no desire to move their devices to their Site after it enrolls. Besides the fact that they wouldn't be able to provide "enrollment Policies" for their devices then.

Also, the same way, enrolling into one location and then having some scripted method, to move to a Site, also prevents enrollment Policies based on that Site. Besides, I don't want to write a script for something that can be automatically done in the first place; seems unnecessary to me.

Now, with that all said. I do not recommend Sites by any stretch of the imagination and I'm actively working towards condensing the number we have. They leave a lot to be desired, have limited functionality especially when you start getting into advanced workflows, or have Site Admins that actually know what they're doing. To top it off, they are a management nightmare, cause massive duplication of work, etc. But I acknowledge they have their place, at least in our environment for now, but do strongly wish Site functionality is increased.

The easiest way to explain this is the most basic functionality that is missing: Site-based identification is not supported natively in Jamf.
In other words:

• You cannot search/filter/scope based on Site.
  • You cannot create an Advance Search and tell which Site a device is assigned to.

MLBZ521
Contributor III

Oh, and the API scripted method only works for macOS. This won't work for Mobile Devices.

mhinsz
New Contributor III

Thanks for all the feedback.

This presents me with another question -- Using the "enrollment complete" trigger for policies.

I'm hoping to effectively trigger policies based on when they join or are assigned to a site. With this workflow, I couldn't use "Enrollment Complete" triggers. Can I use a different one?

Thanks again.

woodsb
Contributor

@mhinsz I'm looking into this now. We name our computers based on their specific site. My site specific thin images appear in Self Service whenever a computer is renamed. I'm currently working on getting my rename script to work after DEP enrollment. Once the user's account is created, I can use Splash Buddy to automatically run the site specific image. I may require another script the asks the technician's location to begin the site specific image.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Not sure if somebody has wrote a script for it, but how about using the public IP for that office? The script would get the public IP and match it to the office and then use the Jamf Pro API to set it.

MLBZ521
Contributor III

@mhinsz Natively, no, there is not any functionality to "execute Policies" based on a Site change. You could do a custom trigger however and call that during your workflow, if that's the direction you want to take.

Jared's idea is an interesting approach that could work for some organizations.