Device Inventory not updating Correctly

nmangogna
New Contributor II

Hello All,

I Have a macbook that will not update inventory. This device was recently updated from High Sierra to Big Sur. When looking in JAMF Pro it shows that the device is checking in properly but hasn't updated inventory since last July. Any suggestions?
b9b23944a10047429d6b9a9946125163

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nmangogna
New Contributor II

For anyone who comes across this. I forgot this was open. Here is what I set up under computer policies to correct this. Just make sure to scope it to whatever devices need to update inventory. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 1.37.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-17 at 1.37.09 PM.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ChaseEndy
New Contributor III

Are you running "sudo jamf recon" and it still doesn't update the record?

cwilsonncaa
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I am experiencing this issue on multiple computers, as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

pinsent
New Contributor III

I've got several devices doing the same thing. I've actually created a Self Service action to run inventory and recon but I have a handful of machines that just won't update inventory.

nmangogna
New Contributor II

For anyone who comes across this. I forgot this was open. Here is what I set up under computer policies to correct this. Just make sure to scope it to whatever devices need to update inventory. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 1.37.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-17 at 1.37.09 PM.png

McGinn
Contributor

I am having this issue on a good number of devices.  I have the correct policy set up to perform a daily inventory update. I even have my own "FROCED" update that is set to run once per machine.

Even with all this setup I still have computers that won't perform an Inventory update.  They are checking in and running a very small number of other policies (scripts mostly).  I have opened a support ticket with JAMF to see what they say.

I am sure that running a "sudo jamf recon" locally will correct the issue but I am trying to remotely resolve it.  I think some of the problems might be that my users never restart.  I am finding some people with uptimes for 45+ days.

Phobos
New Contributor

I am in the same boat also. Jamf support suggested going into Settings - inventory collection - untick "Collect available software updates " they said it would solve the issue but I am still seeing it every now and then even after asking the user to run a policy in SS that included recon and policy and restart, which fixes it but only for week or two. 

simonep
New Contributor III

I'm seeing the same issue - any resolution?  We have macs checking in but no update to inventory even though we have a policy to update inventory daily.  I had a user run an update inventory policy via SS and it's just spinning and not updating.  This is a huge problem with compliance since we are not getting accurate data with inventory not updating. 

Phobos
New Contributor

@simonep we managed to solve this by getting the user to update to macOS 12.4 or later. It was due to the previous version not playing nice with Jamf so as a result Apple and Jamf seem to have resolved the issue in future updates. 

I created a Self Service policy that included recon and policy which brought it back to like so I could check the version of OS and pester the user to update. Note that remote command update commands were also not working in those versions.