Devices wont install despite being in the prestage-Enrollment

Mobec
New Contributor

Hey All,

i just received six new MacBooks and I want to add them to our existing prestage-Enrollment.

The Devices were assigned to Jamf Pro in our Apple Business Manager.

The devices now appear in the prestage enrollment, next to the other devices that are already working.
The problem is that when I set up the Macbook, no local administrator is created and I am prompted to create a user manually.
Does anyone have an idea why the devices do not create a local administrator despite prestage enrollment and connection to the network?

Thanks for the help!

7 REPLIES 7

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Do you see the "Remote Management" prompt? What does the following Terminal command show:

sudo profiles show --type enrollment

Were the devices moved between PreStage configurations?

Mobec
New Contributor

Where should i look for the "Remote Management" prompt? On the MacBook? Because i cant open the terminal before i create a local user and i want to avoid that. Or do you mean another Terminal?

And the Devices werent moved between different PreStages. I added them from the Apple Business Manager and directly put them in the correct PreStage.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Did you turn them on and connect them to the network before you added them to your PreStage. macOS checks for the enrollment token as soon as sees a network, even before you get to the Remote Management screen. So, even it you never started setup, it is possible that the computer checked for an enrollment token and found nothing. 

The best way to fix is to walk through setup and then use Erase All Contents and Settings to reset the computer. Just make sure you computer is in the correct PreStage. (Or you can use the Profiles command as jtrant mentioned.)  

Mobec
New Contributor

Yes i turned them on before they were in the PreStage. But i figured this might be the problem and after i added them all to the PreStage, I wiped one of the MacBooks, reinstalled it but it still didnt work. Do you mean a fresh install by "Ersase all Contents and Settings"? Or is this another way?

Mobec
New Contributor

Edit: I just found out, that the devices are in the correct PreStage, but they arent showing up in my inventory. Could the problem be linked to that? Or do the devices only appear in the inventory after the PreStage installation?

Sorry im pretty new to Jamf :)

sudoErase
New Contributor III

Hi @Mobec,

Just to cover all bases, inside the Prestage Enrollment, when you click on the prestage, are devices marked "checked"? 

The devices will appear inside Prestage but it may not be assigned to it. It appears inside because of the Apple Business (which means it is setup correctly).

But you may still need to assign the device to it.

Normally, the prestage is set defaulted to assign automatically but if yours is not set that way then it will not assign to it. 

Hope this helps :) 

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Devices won't be in inventory until they have been enrolled. They will only show up in your PreStage. 

Have you tried completely wiping a computer after you confirmed they are in your PreStage? That should work.