Differentiating between Adobe CC named user vs. device installs

powellbc
Contributor II

I wanted to whip up an extension attribute to identify which Creative Cloud installs are named user vs. device but I have no idea where to pull this data from on the client. A cursory look at /Library/Application Support/Adobe/ did not turn anything up to me. Has anyone done anything like this or know of a solution to get what I am looking for?

6 REPLIES 6

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

You can use Software ID tags (with the Licensed Software part of the JSS) to determine CC license type.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/packager/software-tag-implementation.html

powellbc
Contributor II

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction!

Am I understanding correctly that I harvest the regid.1986-12...swidtag file from a computer with a device install, upload it to the JSS, and then create the record based on that?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

powellbc
Contributor II

Oh, I see now that Adobe was repopulated as a selection in the Reg ID, and once selected I can now choose tags that have been found per this statement in the KB:

The JSS collects SWID tags from a computer each time the computer submits inventory. SWID tags are not listed in the computer's inventory information in the JSS, but they are stored in the JSS database for use with Licensed Software.

I am guessing CreativeCloudTeam is the device license.

Many thanks @bvrooman and @stevewood !

jphillips
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Could you guys expand on this a little? I am trying to do the same thing: differentiate between named-user and device licenses, but I am not getting the expected results from Licensed Software.

For instance, I created a License with just Photoshop CC 2015: V7{}Photoshop-17-Mac-GM. Reports 2 installs. I know I have way more named-user installs of Photoshop because I have it installed on 5 machines of my own. So then I created a smart group looking for that app title. Smart group reports 256 installs.

903d91b0aa5d4d62aa78e05f019a02fc

powellbc
Contributor II

@jphillips I discovered after my last post that I am unable to differentiate between user and device installs using this method. The inventoried tag is the same for both (at least with the 2015 CC versions).