Disable ability to check box in Outlook 2016

AdamH
New Contributor II

So does anyone know what the key value is for the checkbox in this screenshot?
Basically we want to disable the ability for a user tock the box to not show the message again. If Outlook detects a script, we want people to be alerted to it.
I'm fairly certain its in the com.microsoft.outlook.plist, but its going to take some scrubbing through to find.
If someone has already done it it could save me a bunch of time.

a188b4f6027a4cfeb3770fe04de06f44

8 REPLIES 8

Joeborner
New Contributor II

Hi AdamH,
It may also be in the local container directory, I'd say take a copy of the preference file and then change the setting and compare.
Or maybe overkill but could use Composer to compare differences before and after the change?

~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Preferences

AdamH
New Contributor II

Well, in true Outlook fashion, I think I found the answer.
So initially there is no key for this setting. If you click the 'Don't Show Again' box, it creates a key that is either don't allow scripts, or do allow scripts. If that key exists, it doesn't show the dialog anymore.
So the only way to make the box come back is to remove the key, which is more intrusive than just changing a setting. Its almost not with the effort.
Thanks Microsoft!

talkingmoose

What's the specific key/value pair you see?

Does the value that says "don't allow scripts" really mean Outlook won't allow scripts to run or is it just poorly named and really means "always prompt"?

AdamH
New Contributor II

The actual name of the key is EnableSendMessageWithScript The Boolean value is YES if you check the box and hit send. It will then always send emails with scripts without asking.
If you change it to NO, it will always NOT send emails with scripts without prompting.

We would prefer it always ask. I was hoping to do something with MDM and not a login script.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@AdamH

I was hoping to do something with MDM and not a login script.

Is it possible to convert just this one setting into a Configuration Profile? You may be able to enforce it if done that way rather than just via a script.

Is it being written into ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Outlook.plist or some other location? Can you post an example of what the plist looks like?

AdamH
New Contributor II

From what I'm finding is that if the key simply EXISTS it will not prompt again. Although you can change settings using profiles, I don't thing you can actually remove the line.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Ah, good point. I think you're right, I've never seen a profile that could make sure a setting didn't even exist in the target plist. I don't think its possible :(

talkingmoose

@AdamH, I'm going to plug heavily that you use the Help > Contact Support feature to notify Microsoft. Hop on one of the Insider channels in Microsoft AutoUpdate if you don't see this feature.

I also see if the setting exists I'm no longer prompted. Also, I cannot reset all Outlook notifications to get this dialog to return. Every time, I must use the defaults Terminal command to delete the key.

And I've submitted an issue where clicking Cancel stores the scripted message in the Outbox, which means it will send anyway at a later time.