Disable Apple ID in Ventura

YanW
Contributor III

We have Configuration Profile to disable Apple ID in System Settings.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>DisabledSystemSettings</key>
    <array>
      <string>com.apple.systempreferences.AppleIDSettings</string>
    </array>
  </dict>
</plist>

It works some of the time. I made sure the devices don't have pending or failed commands. Some times require a simple restart but most of the time require pushing the profile out again, inventory update, or send blank push. What am I missing?

13 REPLIES 13

StefanT
New Contributor III

Is there a reason you do these using a plist instead of the Restrictions in the configuration profile?

Whats the preference domain for these so I could try it this way?

YanW
Contributor III

The Restrictions payload doesn't work on Ventura, so we use the com.apple.systempreferences. Everything works except Apple ID 

System Settings JSON.png

StefanT
New Contributor III

Hm... I have turned of every i* option in the settings, and once they where turned off, the Apple ID turned to '"Sign in" is not Available'.

Do your changes completly remove the Apple ID section?

YanW
Contributor III

Not every time it get disabled right away. When it works, it says "Sign in" settings are not available. 

I could use this to disable it. 

defaults write "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences" DisabledSystemSettings -array "com.apple.systempreferences.AppleIDSettings"

I want to figure out why only Apple ID is having issue in Configuration Profile. 

asobol2
New Contributor

Hey, did you ever figure this out, having same issue

YanW
Contributor III

Jamf Support acknowledge all methods didn't apply instantly and they didn't have any solutions. I'm using with the Plist/JSON profile with the "Apple ID Preference Pane" in Restriction payload. On top of that, also using the "defaults write "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences" DisabledSystemSettings -array "com.apple.systempreferences.AppleIDSettings". We just have the users to restart the Mac after they create their local account. It get disabled after the restart. Still, had 1 user  managed to log into their AppleID. Shrug....

kai_wang1
New Contributor III

Since update to 14.2.1, this plist doesn't work on some Mac, do you have similar issue reported?

It stopped working for us as well. 

kai_wang1
New Contributor III

Pls create one more profile as below. As i tested it works on 14.2.1

com.apple.applicationaccess

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>allowAccountModification</key> <false/> </dict> </plist>

This worked for me.
Was previously using the plist config shown in the original post, but then it stopped working. But ONLY Apple ID stopped working.

com.apple.systempreferences.AppleIDSettings

Everything else was working fine. 

I did create the profile above, but it still did not work. However It did seem to fix itself with the Sonoma update and is working correctly again. 

kai_wang1
New Contributor III

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.20.44.png

Yes, this key is only work on Sonoma.