Disable Sharing Pane in System Preferences?

Not applicable

Hello,

This is my first post of probably many on the board. We just got our JSS installed on Friday and I am looking for a way to disable the sharing pane in system preferences for both Admin and Standard users. Am I able to delete <string>com.apple.preferences.sharing</string> in the com.apple.systempreferences to accomplish this? Thanks for the help!

Luke

5 REPLIES 5

Bukira
Contributor

Hi Luke,

Well i use OD to control preferences and theres an option to block access to any preferencepane, this should be achievable with Caspers preference management but i don't know how they do it, but the idea is to block access to system preferences via the systempreference.plist

Criss

Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
iPhone / iPad Developer
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Development Team
Adelphi Building AB28
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not sure this is possible outside of MCX...or moving the Preference Pane. I'm not comfortable about moving OS pieces around. ;)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

lance_ogletree
Contributor

Luke,
you'll want to explore our Managed Preferences option within the JSS.
Specifically look at the com.apple.systempreferences template
By removing the string entry for the Sharing preference pane, this will disable access to it within System Preferences.

Beginning on page 349 of the Casper Admin manual, you'll find information regarding the use of the Managed Preferences in the JSS.

-Lance

Not applicable

Thanks for the help guys! Lance's solution worked!

Not applicable

This only is affective if sharing had been enabled at some point creating a record in the systempreference.plist. If this is so you can use a unix script (or apple if you so chose) that will modify that plist. The other option is to package up a plist and deploy the plist with the option of “Fill Existing Users” Be careful of this because it can default the users configuration.