Disabling App Store access

ianmb
Contributor

I've added a restricted process for the App Store in the JSS so any user will find they're unable to launch it via /Applications or Spotlight (the process gets killed immediately).

However, I find that they can still launch it via Apple Logo > App Store... or Apple Logo > Software Update...

How can I prevent this? I want my users to use purely Self Service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

charliwest
Contributor II
rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist && rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist

basic but does the trick

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

franton
Valued Contributor III

You're better off using an MCX setting to restrict the app store to an update only mode.

charliwest
Contributor II
rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist && rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist

basic but does the trick

Not applicable

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT200211?viewlocale=en_US

Although in my dotfiles-type setup script I just include:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore restrict-store-softwareupdate-only -bool yes

ianmb
Contributor
rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist && rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist basic but does the trick

Exactly what I'm looking for, many thanks!

scharman
New Contributor
rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.storeagent.plist && rm -rf /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.store_helper.plist basic but does the trick

doesnt work for me, I'm running 10.10.2 is that why?

charliwest
Contributor II

Yeah it looks like those are gone in 10.10.X, not sure what the replacement is I'm afraid though.

manojkj
New Contributor

HI

Is there a way to enable app store but block updates as it is going to be a managed solution. I would like to push all updates via JSS only

Thanks

cnelson
Contributor

I know that this is an old post but wanted to let you know that this solution worked for me

Go to the "Applications" tab under the "Restrictions" payload in a Configuration Profile. Check "Restrict which apps are allowed to launch" and then add "/Applications/App Store.app" (without quotes) under "Disallow Folders".

Works like a charm.e110aa01c28c458daf166cbe181fb4e5