Disk Space Analyzer/Cleaner App Recommendations

Levi_
Contributor II

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to make an app available for employee's to use when their disk is getting full and to help them easily identify what is taking up space. I see a lot of people on the internet suggesting OmniSweeper or DiskX. I'm used to using TreeSize on PC, and that works really well. There is a macOS version, paid version but for something this lightweight I really don't want to shell out cash for something like this. I'm wondering what all of you use 😁

Edit: I suppose the cleaning portion is not 100% necessary, more so the ability to have visibility what is taking up all the space. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Levi_ OmniDiskSweeper is what I recommend to most users. For personal use, or really technical users, GrandPerspective is my choice.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Levi_ OmniDiskSweeper is what I recommend to most users. For personal use, or really technical users, GrandPerspective is my choice.

Levi_
Contributor II

Thank you. Grand perspective would definitely scare everyone away haha. I'm checking out Omni and so far it works pretty similar to TreeSize.  

piotrr
Contributor III

I show my users Grand Perspective and use it myself.

The built-in storage options are okay too. System Preferences, General, Storage. It was easier in macOS 12, but you can still click the ( i ) on each category to see what's taking up space in each category. 

In most cases users have downloaded large videos or keep copies of large files in their cloud storage, but you do get the occasional person having logged into Mail, old Outlook and new Outlook and synced 50 GB of mail data thrice. 

DaisyDisk is pretty too, but costs money.