Distribution point general settings for path and ssh

scottmorabito
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

New to Casper, using 8.7. I can't seem to find any documentation on the local path and ssh/username information seen on the general settings of a distribution point. Is this for auto-creating shares on MacOS, for rsync, for permissions fix???? Very curious.

Thank you in advance,

scott morabito

7 REPLIES 7

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I don't have the administrators guide right here but I know it's in there. I'm assuming that your setting the path for the share in the JSS? If that's the case it is the local path to the share on your distribution point. In my case it's /volumes/RAID/CasperShare. This is a share point that I created on a local Mac (with server installed).

... Or are you asking about creating a share on a Mac "server"? If that's he case you load the server software from the App Store, open it, turn on file sharing, click the plus button and enter a path to wherever you want the repository to be. I my case it's just called CasperShare at the root of my fastest volume. After this you create two new users. There is a users tab on the left hand side of the "server" app. One user should have read only permissions (documentation calls this user casperinstall). The second user should have read and write permissions (docs call this user casperadmin). I stuck with the fault names because they sounded proper.

As far as I know this should work with a variety of AFP/SMB file shares, on Mac, Windows and Linux servers. I only talk about the Mac server because you mentioned it. Creating share points on each type of OS is obviously, a bit different.

I any event, you enter those user credentials into he JSS when defining your distribution point, along with the local path to the share on your distribution point.

Have I helped?

P.S. I can find the references in the docs later and send them along. Do you have a copy of the admin guide? I also can't stress enough how important getting a CCA course or at least a jump start under your belt, can be. The Casper suite is super easy to deal with once you know how it works. Also, keep searching here on the forums. Most topics have been discussed here at length somewhere or another if you dig.

scottmorabito
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I have the last 2 years of forum/mailing list and only see a couple other remote reference to this, none helpful - https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=5106 https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=2467

Why does JSS need or want ssh access to the distribution point? I've seen JAMF trainers leave the field blank on setup. The admin guide skips over it.

Joel_Peasley
Contributor
Contributor

Scott,

You are correct that the following items don't need to be filled out for a distribution point. Those items are legacy features from a previous version of the Casper Suite.

Local Path: SSH Username: SSH Password: Verify SSH Password:

Thanks,
Joel

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Boy do I apologize! I completely missed the point of your post. In short, no idea. I don't see any JAMF binaries loaded onto anything running a DP. If someone knows, is this a throwback? Something from a far previous version of the JSS? I've entered the info on mine, but I honestly can't even think of it's purpose under my present setup.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well that answers it. Not only do I go off on a super simple tangent after missing the real question, but I post at the same time and show up after the answer ;-) A nice way to end the week I suppose. Thanks Joel! and sorry Scott!

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

I think the need for SSH username and password was used when the JSS Database Utility could schedule syncing between your Distribution Points. That's no longer a feature/service with current versions of the Casper Suite. Current versions require you to use Casper Admin to sync or get creative with your own scheduled jobs to handle the syncing. It could also remotely create the DP for you. (The documentation for Casper Suite 6.0 with Mac OS X 10.4 Server is my reference.)

scottmorabito
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Thanks guys, that is very helpful. I supposed I could put in a feature request to make that clearnbut with 9 coming out its hardly worth it.

I like to know/understand every possible option with the interface, so I'm glad I have this one cleared up.