Dock Items - App Allocation

Not applicable

Crew:

I'm having great success with customizing specific dock items being added via policy, however is there anyway to order the items in the dock? (Ex: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Entourage) I'd like to keep all of the MS Office tiles together, everything else I'm not so particular about. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark Sample
Technology Resources
CSG/Apple Server Administrator
Texas Christian University
m.sample at tcu.edu

8 REPLIES 8

Bukira
Contributor

I use OD and they are ordered in the order u can them in workgroup manager, the order in the dock.plist is the order in the dock

Sent from my iPad

Not applicable

Wouldn't work for me in this particular situation because OD's not active in my setup. I could create a specialized plist via Lingon and upload it into managed prefs and create a policy to push it. Any simpler avenue?

Mark Sample
Technology Resources
CSG/Apple Server Administrator
Texas Christian University
m.sample at tcu.edu

Not applicable

I'm also wondering if the "action" when adding and item groups the tile according to the action (i.e., add to beginning, add to end) ?

-Mark

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I was just going to suggest doing something like that. If you default "add to end" you can just have separate policies for adding them to the dock and make sure they're in the right order. Maybe not the most elegant way, but it should work.

j
--
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Doesn't Composer offer a feature where you can capture the dock exactly
how you want it to be, then create a policy to fill to existing users? Then make it self healing so every time a user logs in/out it gets
reapplied?

Not applicable

I'll try that approach. The only question I have is whether after "self healing" is envoked, an item that the user adds manually to the dock, gets deleted -making the dock default to original post image customization?

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

It would only get self healed upon it's trigger, which would be every
15, log in/out, reboot. However, you could modify it with MCX settings
in casper to make the dock non editable at all. The only dock
management I do is users are forced to have self service on their dock,
other than that they can do whatever they want with it.

I had one school where one of the principals wanted to ensure every
student had their hand book and acceptable usage policy on their
computer at all times so they cannot play the dumb role of, "Oh it was
never on my computer, I never read the rules." So, I just snap shot the
PDF in composer and made a self healing policy that replaces it if they
move it or delete it. I also made it read only so they couldn't delete
it. Haven't had an issue yet where a student moves it so much they have
100s of copies of their school's handbook, but you never know.

Not applicable

Any recommendations in reference to policy settings? (Cat, Triggered every 15.., Freq)

On 6/21/10 8:48 AM, "Thomas Larkin" <tlarki at kckps.org> wrote:

It would only get self healed upon it's trigger, which would be every 15, log in/out, reboot. However, you could modify it with MCX settings in casper to make the dock non editable at all. The only dock management I do is users are forced to have self service on their dock, other than that they can do whatever they want with it.

I had one school where one of the principals wanted to ensure every student had their hand book and acceptable usage policy on their computer at all times so they cannot play the dumb role of, "Oh it was never on my computer, I never read the rules." So, I just snap shot the PDF in composer and made a self healing policy that replaces it if they move it or delete it. I also made it read only so they couldn't delete it. Haven't had an issue yet where a student moves it so much they have 100s of copies of their school's handbook, but you never know.