Double mounting of home folders on AD accounts

agerson
New Contributor III

45b2525972c1420cb901c95764f1b528
Ever since updating to sierra, our AD bound machines auto mount the parent root of the AD defined home folder at login, but also put a shortcut in the dock which when clicked mounts a a direct share to the users home folder. Has anyone else seen this? I removed jamf and its still happening so it appears to be an Apple Mac OS thing applied via managed preferences:

7e0d10324307482889e1a86a3dbd4559

Screen Recording

4 REPLIES 4

hkabik
Valued Contributor

This setting is typically maintained by the Active Directory plugin unless you have a login script that runs and mounts it separately.

19129405a0274ac58f1a5e848cd0b863

agerson
New Contributor III

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I do want one of these two drives to appear, preferably the dock item. But when the setting you have outlined is checked it mounts it once at login and then mounts a 2nd item when the dock icon is clicked.

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

The Dock icon is just an entry within the user account's preferences; it's not something that would be removed along with the management framework. You can get rid of it by just dragging it off of the dock, or with a utility like dockutil.

agerson
New Contributor III

From my testing, in Mac OS Sierra, the Mac OS creates a Managed Preference for the dock plist and dynamically adds the dock item for all AD users who have the home directory preference checked in directory Utility. Its not located in the users dock but in /Library/Managed Preferences. We like the dock item and would like to get rid of the automounted share mount at login.