Downloads folder in Jamf Configuration Profile for Dock

WilsonFredonia
New Contributor III

So I'm trying to play in the sandbox that Apple and Jamf seem to want us to be in and I am pushing out as much as I can through configuration profiles for the user experience in our labs.

I have unique docks built out for each of the different labs with a combination of the Dock portion of the config profile and an Application and Custom Settings JSON template that I found a ways back (Looks like it is this one. ). Everything seems to be working quite well and gives me a lot of flexibility across the spaces until I hit a coordinator who wants the user's Downloads folder available in the Stacks portion of the Dock. I have tried populating through the Custom Settings and through the Dock portion of the config profile with ~/Downloads and had no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to point to a user's home directory that do not involve uploading an entire profile outside of Profile Creator or dockutil (tried both in the past)?

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Dealing with this right now. It appears dock folders may be an issue if you're binding and the users don't have a mobile account i.e. network users. The dock payload won't be able to map the folder reliably if it's not a mobile account.

Other things to check are to use full paths with variables i.e. /Users/$4/Downloads or /Users/%USER/Downloads.