Drop pacakge on desktop without running it

kbreed27
Contributor

Hey My JAMF People!

We've been noticing lots of issues with re-enrolled devices hanging on random VPP apps. So far 95% of the time if we delete a device record and re-enroll the device it fixes the issue. We're about to have a bunch of computers go through updating the OS to Monterey because they are a few versions out of date.

I've packaged up a version of the Eraseinstall script by Graham Pugh that has a post install script baked into it to kick off the Erase install process automatically after running the package. I also have made a Self-Service script for our Field techs that makes an API call and deletes the device record of the computer that it is run on.

My Plan would be to have a self-service policy to drop that Erase/Install package on the desktop and then have the techs run API call to delete the Device Inventory Record and then run the package on the desktop to actually perform the erase/install of Mac OS. 

What I am having trouble figuring out is getting a the pkg to just drop onto the computer via policy without running. This is probably very simple, but I'm not finding an easy way to do it.

Any insight you guys have would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@kbreed27 Wrap your modified erase-install package in another package that installs the erase-install package into a hidden location like /private/var/tmp and use a post install script to move it to the user's desktop folder.

Another thing you might consider is using the --preinstall-command option in erase-install (see https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install/wiki/7.-Erasing-and-reinstalling-macOS) to trigger removal of the computer right before erase-install calls the startosinstall command

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@kbreed27 Wrap your modified erase-install package in another package that installs the erase-install package into a hidden location like /private/var/tmp and use a post install script to move it to the user's desktop folder.

Another thing you might consider is using the --preinstall-command option in erase-install (see https://github.com/grahampugh/erase-install/wiki/7.-Erasing-and-reinstalling-macOS) to trigger removal of the computer right before erase-install calls the startosinstall command

@sdagley Thank you! this worked!