dsconfgad issues with 10.7.4

middlebury
New Contributor

Using the JSS built-in binding to AD works for our 10.6.8 clients quite well. However, whenever we run it on a 10.7.4 client we get this error...

Binding mycomp-ABCD to DomainNameHere... An error occurred binding to Active Directory: dsconfigad: The plugin encountered an error processing request. (10001). (Attempt 1) An error occurred binding to Active Directory: dsconfigad: The plugin encountered an error processing request. (10001). (Attempt 2) An error occurred binding to Active Directory: dsconfigad: The plugin encountered an error processing request. (10001). (Attempt 3) An error occurred binding to Active Directory: dsconfigad: The plugin encountered an error processing request. (10001). (Attempt 4) An error occurred binding to Active Directory: dsconfigad: The plugin encountered an error processing request. (10001). (Attempt 5) Error: Giving up on Active Directory binding after 5 attempts. Unmounting file server...

... and the task fails. This task works find on 10.5.8 and 10.6.8 machines. We are running Casper version 8.5.2.

All the other issues I've seen online (here) seem to be resolved with time syncs or other small issues, I'm hoping I missed an obvious tech note someone could point out.

I am going to do some further experimenting with adconfig and see if there is something I can figure out, as the 10001 error appears to be a DC configuration error, but it works on other OS's. Just thought I would start my search for an answer here while I work on it on this end.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

middlebury
New Contributor

Damn it. As soon as I posted I found the answer.

Apparently in 10.6 you can have the DC's in any order and it will still work. But in 10.7 the order is specific.

Re-arranging the DC's fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

middlebury
New Contributor

Damn it. As soon as I posted I found the answer.

Apparently in 10.6 you can have the DC's in any order and it will still work. But in 10.7 the order is specific.

Re-arranging the DC's fixed the issue.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Can you explain further?

mvanvliet
New Contributor

Agreed, any more detail?

EDIT:
When I was getting this error it was due to the fact the account I had created to do AD binds and unbinds, only had access to do so from the default Computers OU. While I was attempting to bind/unbind from deeper sub OU's.
ie.
OU=Macs,OU=Computers,OU=SiteName,DC=ADdomain,DC=com

hasaanh
New Contributor III

+1 please explain more.

roiegat
Contributor III

Can you guys provide more details? Today I tried to bind two machine and got the following error:

"An error occurred binding to Active Directory: dsconfigad: The plugin encountered an error processing request. (10001)."

I can manually bind it ok, but can't do it from Casper. I haven't had another other reports from of pc techs yet, so I'm doing more testing to see how wide spread the issue is.