ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

I was looking through the archive online, and found a thread from 1-12-2009,
but our emailed archive doesn't go back far enough... It's basically how to
create dummy receipts... Does anybody have this old thread with the screen
shots they could send me or if the process has changed, could we go over it
again?

Thank you!

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Miles Leacy <miles.leacy at themacadmin.com <http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/casper> > wrote: Gents, I'm taking this back on list because there may be others in the community that would benefit from this discussion. To Recap, there are two questions: how to use custom triggers and how to create dummy receipts.
Re: "Dummy receipts" The so-called "dummy receipt" is a receipt from a payload-free package. I create empty prebuilt Apple .pkg files using Composer like so... 1. Create an empty folder with the same name as your intended package (and receipt) in /Applications/The Casper Suite/Temp/ (see attachment "Picture 1.png") 2. Open Composer, choose this prebuilt package and save it as an Apple .pkg. (see attachment "Picture 2.png") Some may find that using these "dummy receipts" creates clutter, but if you integrate the concept into your workflows, document your work, and maintain clear and consistent policies (in the general sense, not Casper Policies) and naming conventions, use of receipts in this way can be a very efficient and effective method to extend your management capabilities. ---------- Miles A. Leacy IV € Certified System Administrator 10.4 € Certified Technical Coordinator 10.5 € Certified Trainer Certified Casper Administrator ---------- voice: 1-347-277-7321 miles.leacy at themacadmin.com

<http://list.jamfsoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/casper>

www.themacadmin.com <http://www.themacadmin.com>
5 REPLIES 5

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Easier than that. In a script or in the "Run Command" box on the advanced
tab of a policy:

touch /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Receipts/dummyreceiptname.pkg

Double check the path spelling for case.

Next time machine recons Casper will pick up that pkg as a Casper installed
receipt.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

Bukira
Contributor

Just create an empty package with Composer and install that, it will
create an install receipt and then thats ur dummy receipt
, you can then scope a group based on who has that receipt

Criss Myers
Senior IT Analyst (Mac Services)
iPhone / iPad Developer
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Development Team
Adelphi Building AB28
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

This is how I do it as well, with the touch command

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

Just so happens, that was what I didn't do. I never ran the inventory
report afterwards. I just pushed the dummy package out and then immediately
tried to create the smart group and could never find the record that it was
installed the system. Once I ran the recon, the flag file I put down showed
up, and I was able to trigger a custom group from that :)

Thank you!!!!!

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

Hey all,

If you like dummy receipts and your JSS is version 7.2 or later, have a look at Extension Attributes. They serve the same purpose as dummy receipts, are also good for reporting, and there's an interface in the JSS web app to help keep them all under control.

--
Miles Leacy
JAMF Software

Sent from my iPhone.

On Sep 30, 2010, at 10:52 AM, "Wojda, John" <john.wojda at searshc.com<mailto:john.wojda at searshc.com>> wrote:

Just so happens, that was what I didn’t do. I never ran the inventory report afterwards. I just pushed the dummy package out and then immediately tried to create the smart group and could never find the record that it was installed the system. Once I ran the recon, the flag file I put down showed up, and I was able to trigger a custom group from that :)

Thank you!!!!!

On 9/30/10 9:42 AM, "Thomas Larkin" <<tlarki at kckps.org>tlarki at kckps.org<mailto:tlarki at kckps.org>> wrote:

This is how I do it as well, with the touch command