Dynamic computer group: show computers with hard disc space over 35 GB

mickl089
Contributor III

Hello Jamf community,

is there a way to create a dynamic computer group that shows me the computers that have more than 35 GB of free hard disk space?

The criteria " Drive Capacity MB" does not seem to work here, if I enter the value "35000", almost all computers are displayed to me except for 2 - if I enter "350000", it is still over 90% of the computers, what is actually displayed here? However, a test with 3500000 (3,500,000) shows me 0 computers. So is my way the right one or not?

Thank you and best regards,
Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

@mreichenauer I have a smart group setup (not a search) and I have that group added to the exclusions of the Big Sur install policy. Isn't that what you also want? You need to use the 'show advanced critieria' option at top of the smart group, to see the required criteria.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

@mreichenauer I used 'Boot Drive Available MB' less than "35000" and my results look correct.

mickl089
Contributor III

Hi geoff,

thanks, but you can only do this via the normal computer search, not via a dynamic group. the point is that only users with more than 35 GB of free memory are entitled to install big sur. there is a bug that destroys data if you try to upgrade from catalina to big sur with less memory. i would like to add this dynamic computer group to the policy.

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

@mreichenauer I have a smart group setup (not a search) and I have that group added to the exclusions of the Big Sur install policy. Isn't that what you also want? You need to use the 'show advanced critieria' option at top of the smart group, to see the required criteria.

Hi, @geoff_widdowson  @mickl089  from my understanding, Boot Drive information would not be as valuable in determining whether a drive has enough disk space to run the Big Sur update on. I believe you (we) are both looking for the APFS "Data" volume information to be presented as a criterion under "show advanced criteria."

mickl089
Contributor III

@GeoffWiddowson Thank you, now i´ve found the criteria ;-)

Have a nice weekend!