EA for Firmware Updates

FastGM3
Contributor

I built a custom EA to look for Mountain Lion computers that need firmware updates based on a script I found in an old post by Miles Leacy (Thank you Miles!). It looks like this

#!/bin/sh
fwupdcount=softwareupdate -l | grep -c -e Firmware -e EFI -e SMC

However it's only returning Firmware updates found on 10.8 computers that need the Thunderbolt Firmware Update. But I know by other reports I have computers that need the iMac EFI Firmware Update and the SMC update.

Any ideas or better ways to do this?
Thanks,
Chuck

2 REPLIES 2

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

A definitive but laborious way to do it would be to establish a Smart Group based on Available SWU's, where you could select every firmware update you're interested in tracking.

FastGM3
Contributor

Well it looks like the script I posted is working, apparently it just needed a little more time to work. The smart group is exactly what I wanted to do with this EA. Now I can separate my normal updates and firmware updates. The plan is normal updates will run in the background with no interaction or message to the end user. The firmware updates will get put on a schedule and pop a message up indicating the computer is going to reboot.

Thanks for the reply!