Easy way to find 32 bit apps ahead of iOS 11

bfrench
Contributor III

Is there an easy way to find the 32 bit apps that will not work with iOS 11? Would like to clean up app scopes ahead of next school year so we don't deploy old apps that may stop working.

16 REPLIES 16

Emmert
Valued Contributor

Install everything in your catalog on a test device. 32-bit apps will show up in Settings > General > About > Applications.

I couldn't think of an easier way to do this, although it might exist. In our environment the only thing of consequence that came up was Destiny Quest, but I think everyone's using the web version of that anyway. I think Google Earth was in the list too, but I heard they are promising an update.

bumbletech
Contributor III

@Emmert , I've done what you were doing. Blegh...

@bfrench You should check this out: https://github.com/dnikles/Check32bitOnlyApps.

I had a little bit of trouble getting it to work from that script as-is, so I updated my script for stale apps to work with the uclient-api for the iTunes Store. https://github.com/bumbletech/JSS_API_scripts/blob/master/JSS_API_check_stale_and_32bit_apps.sh

It'll take a while to go through your whole JSS.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Thanks @bumbletech

I ran your latest script and noticed the apps are listed with a status of "NOT_32BIT". Shouldn't these say NOT_64BIT?

bumbletech
Contributor III

@cbrewer Whoops. Thanks for catching that. Your csv should still be fine, but NOT_32BIT means 32BIT only.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

@bumbleblee

I found that I wanted to have the actual App display name in the result set so I added the following to the script right below the app_bundle_id variable:

app_name=`echo "$xml_string" | awk -F'<name>|</name>' '{print $2}'`

I then added $app_name to the 2 echo lines that write to the csv.
Letting you know in case you wanted to add it to the original.

sapalmerBCS
New Contributor III

@bumbletech I'm trying to use your script. We have over 1900 apps in JAMF, but when the script runs it creates a .csv with 3 lines all of which say the same thing. I believe it's having trouble parsing the XML, but I can't figure out exactly what is going on. I'm able to run curl command manually on the path in the script without the | to xpath. When I manually run it with the | to xpath I get the error:

^
 at /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/XML/Parser.pm line 187.

Any thoughts?

galionschools
Contributor

Same issue here, it creates three lines all with null data.

alierman
New Contributor

@bumbletech When I try to run the script it keeps disabling my JSS user account as if the password is wrong. I am on JAMF Pro 10. Not sure if that is the cause. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

thoule
Valued Contributor II

dpecht1221
New Contributor II

@bumbletech @sapalmerBCS I am seeing the same issues when running the script. Were you able to get them resolved? Thanks for the help!

bumbletech
Contributor III

Sorry everyone! I was on vacation for the second half of November and didn't see the initial notifications.

We're still running v9.x, so I'll have to give this another go with our test server. Sounds like everyone having issues is on v10?

dpecht1221
New Contributor II

@bumbletech I am still running 9.101.0 and seeing the 3 line CSV.

bumbletech
Contributor III

Is everyone that's having issues using a self signed certificate?

galionschools
Contributor

Yes, we're using a self signed cert(unfortunately). Still on 9.101.0 as well.

dpecht1221
New Contributor II

@bumbletech Yes we have a self Signed cert as well and still on 9.101.0. Any help is very much appreciated !

musat
Contributor III

I just ran this on our 10.6 server with a self-signed certificate and it ran correctly, giving us the spreadsheet with the 33 stale and 32-bit apps.

Thanks, this should really help us clean out our app list.