Editing Default Options for Printers via localhost

ruschg
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

Just a little background: I work in an AD environment that utilizes Xerox MFDs among several others types of printers. I've had success capturing the device with Casper Admin and deploying the printer either through Self Service or some other trigger.

The question I have is that our Xerox MFDs by default print in color and historically we've had to go into localhost to set this default option to black and white. Has anyone had experience adding a script to the process so as to set the default option?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jduvalmtb
Contributor

I add Xerox WorkCenters only by scripts. To see the printer options:

lpoptions -p [PrinterName] -l > ~/Desktop/PrinterOptions.txt

Our 3rd floor copier for instance, which I default to print single-sided:

#!/bin/sh
lpadmin -p 3_Copier -L MS_Office -E -v lpd://192.168.0.33/ -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Xerox WorkCentre 7845.gz -o printer-is-shared=false -o XRTrays=FiveTrays -o XRFinisher=SBFinisher -o XRHolePunch=23Unit -o sides=one-sided -o XRJobStorage=false

In your case, you'll want to add the "-o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale" switch

lpadmin -p 3_Copier_bw -L MS_Office -E -v lpd://192.168.0.33/ -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Xerox WorkCentre 7845.gz -o printer-is-shared=false -o XRTrays=FiveTrays -o XRFinisher=SBFinisher -o XRHolePunch=23Unit -o sides=one-sided -o XRJobStorage=false -o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale

But, I want our students to have their names automatically printed in the headers so I scope this to just student smart groups:

#!/bin/sh
lpstat -p | awk '{print $2}' | while read printer; do lpadmin -p $printer -o XRAnnotationOption=Standard -o XRAnnotationPage=AllPage; done

Just be sure to deploy the XeroxDrivers.pkg first.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jduvalmtb
Contributor

I add Xerox WorkCenters only by scripts. To see the printer options:

lpoptions -p [PrinterName] -l > ~/Desktop/PrinterOptions.txt

Our 3rd floor copier for instance, which I default to print single-sided:

#!/bin/sh
lpadmin -p 3_Copier -L MS_Office -E -v lpd://192.168.0.33/ -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Xerox WorkCentre 7845.gz -o printer-is-shared=false -o XRTrays=FiveTrays -o XRFinisher=SBFinisher -o XRHolePunch=23Unit -o sides=one-sided -o XRJobStorage=false

In your case, you'll want to add the "-o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale" switch

lpadmin -p 3_Copier_bw -L MS_Office -E -v lpd://192.168.0.33/ -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/Xerox WorkCentre 7845.gz -o printer-is-shared=false -o XRTrays=FiveTrays -o XRFinisher=SBFinisher -o XRHolePunch=23Unit -o sides=one-sided -o XRJobStorage=false -o XROutputColor=PrintAsGrayscale

But, I want our students to have their names automatically printed in the headers so I scope this to just student smart groups:

#!/bin/sh
lpstat -p | awk '{print $2}' | while read printer; do lpadmin -p $printer -o XRAnnotationOption=Standard -o XRAnnotationPage=AllPage; done

Just be sure to deploy the XeroxDrivers.pkg first.

ruschg
New Contributor II

@jduvalmtb You sir, rock - thank you

gemsworldsg
New Contributor II

Hi Sir,

How do i do the same for Canon printers? But I would like to change the default printing to Colour.
Queue name: Canon_Colour_Mac

DavonB
New Contributor

Hey @jduvalmtb , 

I'm looking to complete the same task using Canon Printers. But I'll like to give the option for color printing or to just set default as color.