Encouraging Users to Upgrade

simon_brown
New Contributor III

Hi,
We want to get users to upgrade their Macs from Mojave to Catalina. Some users are happy to upgrade, some take a lot of encouragement(!). We don't want to push an automatic upgrade but how do you guys encourage or even force those to upgrade. Do you notify them with an email? or even use Jamfhelper to display a message?

Be interested to hear your methods.

Thanks,
S

3 REPLIES 3

shaquir
Contributor III

Hi @simon.brown,
I use the macOSUpgrade script in my environment. HCS has a great guide here: Upgrade to macOS Catalina using Self Service with Jamf Pro

You can send user's the initial alert that it is available via the app store here:

f031fee94c1c47e6971fb4b370c50dc1

I'd also recommend "Include the policy in the Featured category" so it is easily visible when your Self Service is opened.

Jamf Pro 10.21 has recently added the ability to set a policy deferral duration (in days) relative to the first prompt a user receives.

This can be nicely paired with an alert to remind the User to update before a set deadline

1da479baff5f4c6092a20589d899f4d9

3a60f8ef2a954161b415cf8ddd61df65

I have previously used Nudge to alert users of updates. It may be the friendlier option to alert your Users.

simon_brown
New Contributor III

Hi @shaquir that's really helpful - thank you! Been looking for something like Nudge for a long time.

shaquir
Contributor III

No worries. It's a great solution.

Also, there is a #nudge group on MacAdmins Slack that stays pretty active with new updates and support.