Enroll Verbose Possible?

gskibum
Contributor III

I've been grappling with an issue on a Mac server with Spotlight and Time Machine for quite some time.

I'm becoming more certain the issue is with a file (or files) on one of the volumes having become corrupt in some way.

The server was running Yosemite and Server 4.x.

I tried all kinds of Spotlight rebuilds etc.

Today on a new drive I installed El Capitan and Server 5 and restored the DNS settings with serverman and the OD master. All was OK, however it seemed my Spotlight and Time Machine problem remained.

Meanwhile I enrolled the server in the JSS via Safari which then indicated that the enrollment was complete (I later discovered it didn't complete, see below). It does show in the JSS and I did see the Profiles section in System Preferences.

Turning my attention back to the Spotlight-Time Machine issue, I saw a process called "lsd" consuming large amounts of CPU. I thought this indicated a FUBAR Launch Services Database so I rebuilt the Launch Services Database.

Next I set about rebooting, only to discover that the QuickAdd Package installer was still running. I would force quit it only to have it reopen. I then quit the "lsd" process, which stopped the Installer app from reopening. I then rebooted and lost contact with the server (which is an hour drive away so I won't get access until tomorrow).

So my hypotheses is that whatever is on one of these volumes that's clobbering Spotlight, also clobbered the enrollment in the JSS.

Assuming I can get the brand-new build to boot, is there a way to reenroll in verbose mode? Or find logs detailed enough to indicate where it got stuck?

1 REPLY 1

gskibum
Contributor III

Here's an update. Drove the hour to get hand's on. It seems the Launch Services database reset set the network interfaces back to DHCP. I set the correct manual IP configuration and all seems to be back to normal.

However, I'm trying to enroll the server again via Safari. Again the Safari page refreshed to report that enrollment is complete. However the "Install QuckAdd" package installer is once again stuck, with the "lsd" process consuming high CPU.

var/jamf.log indicates it's stuck on:

Checking for policies triggered by "enrollmentComplete"...

I force quit the "lsd" process and suddenly Self Service attempted to launch, however it was being blocked by GateKeeper. After that I issued jamf policy, jamf manage and jamf recon and the enrollment seems to be fine.

I'm running jss 9.8.1.

I'm now thinking this enrollment hang might be a bug with El Capitan and jss 9.8.1 and not related to the Spotlight-Time Machine issue. Now for the first time in a long time I've been able to run Time Machine without having to first turn off Spotlight, and Spotlight isn't hogging crazy amounts of CPU. I think the Spotlight-Time Machine thing is fixed - and I don't know why! Perhaps resetting the Launch Services database on a brand-new build did it? Ugh.