Enterprise Backup

CCNapier
Contributor

Hi all,

I've seen some OLD posts about backups. We use "Netbackup" for our Windows OS, but they apparently no longer do a Mac client, so we are looking around for alternatives.

Can anyone suggest a good backup solution of wired/wireless Mac OSX devices? Especially in the Enterprise.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

dwandro92
Contributor III

CrashPlan PROe by Code42

kenergy
Contributor

+1 CrashPlan PROe

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

We're in the process of switching from Symantec DLO to CrashPlan PROe. It's amazing how much the Windows admins here loved DLO, until they used a modern enterprise product like CrashPlan. I don't know of anything else on the market that has anywhere near the same feature set and works as well on Macs.

TreviñoL
Contributor

+1 CrashPlan PROe

CCNapier
Contributor

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm sure CrashPlan will be happy with the free advertising.
100% so far... anyone else want to mix it up?

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

I will mix it up. We used to use Crashplan PROe but we were made to switch to using Druva. I wish we were still using Crashplan.

That's my best attempt. Haha.

CCNapier
Contributor

Thanks all

Apfelpom
New Contributor III

We are very happy since 2003 (!) with Archiware P5 to sync, backup and archive our data across platforms (OS X, Windows, Solaris, Linux). They have a client Backup 2Go module and an add-on application to archive files directly from workstations and link them in place. With their WingFS add-on you can also backup cloud data locally. [http://archiware.com](Archiware P5)

Bhughes
Contributor

All,

Does CrashPlan PROe do full drive (clone) backup/restore, or is it file based? We're in a conundrum where we don't have enough Mac's to justify paying for an enterprise break fix solution; therefore when there's a break/fix event, we push the users to use Apple (store, or send the device in for repair). Obviously there are privacy/data concerns there that need to be addressed.

I am looking for a backup, wipe (repair), restore type of solution.

Thanks!
Ben

danshaw
Contributor II

We also use Druva. Deployment was pretty simple and user accounts are tied into AD so users do not need to remember another password. We haven't had many issues with backing files up, but have noticed the restoring files is painfully slow. Even small restores of around 10GB need to be run overnight. I'd give them 1 thumb up. :)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@Bhughes I'm not sure I understand the metric you're quoting. We're loving CrashPlan ProE here but it's all per/user licensing. Sure there are price breaks at various levels, but surely it's the data that would make backup valuable, not the physical number of computers. Also, CrashPlan restores are far faster than the backups. We've done 80+ gig backups within an 8 hour day.

Bhughes
Contributor

Thanks @Chris_Hafner - I was talking about Apple break/fix support in house (train our onsite break/fix guys, get a deal with Apple, etc...) Currently we're sending users to the Apple store/having them ship devices to Apple when something breaks.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@Bhughes This is what I get for 'skimming' a post and answering. Sorry about that. We're an old SSA (Apple Self Servicing Account) and it's a HUGE time/money saver but you do need that volume of Apple products to become one. Which, is a major bummer! Now I completely understand your post.

PAC
Contributor

How is CrashPLan going in 2018?
I know this thread was from 2016 but it seems like a great program
Now we are in 2018, do people still recommend this App for small businesses?

Regards
Pete

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I absolutely love it! We've got about 70 folks running it and it's flawless. Any specific questions?