Enterprise connect?

RobertBasil
Contributor

We have been binding to AD forever, but it does have it's issues. Does anyone here use Enterprise connect?

Thoughts?

14 REPLIES 14

mhasman
Valued Contributor

+1 interested

roiegat
Contributor III

+1 interested as well. But we want to keep our AD binding as well. I really like the potential for the password sync issue. Seems like even though we tell our people how to properly change their passwords - they still get things out of sync.

chris_miller
Contributor

I've been using it for a couple months now. Works well to keep the Kerberos tickets alive with non-bound local users and bound AD users alike. Straight out of the box it works well. They have you jump through some hoops to be able to get it, including 2 days of professional services. However, that's not bad because they do some ninja like scripting to adapt how it works to best fit your needs and environment. It is now part of my standard image. Would love to see it as a regular part of macOS in the future.

roiegat
Contributor III

@csm0004 Is the price per year or one time price? I'm thinking about budgeting for it for 2017. Also, does the 2 days of professional services happen on company site, because that might be tricky with our company.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

The price is essentially to pay for the Professional Services engagement which is required as part of the purchase. We have been using it for ~6 months now, and it has been working great! It really has made SSO work so much better as it keeps the users's Kerberos ticket alive.

RobertBasil
Contributor

@csm0004 and @dgreening ,

For those of you who are using it, if you don't mind us asking.... what was the cost for the two days of Professional Services Engagement? Is it completed on site or can it be done remotely?

Thanks!

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I'm pretty sure it was ~$5,500. It is completed on-site by a PS engineer from the EC team.

ndobric
New Contributor

Reviewing the SOW on it tomorrow. We hope to have the product in our hands in the next couple weeks. I'm pretty familiar with it at this point and am excited as well. The Professional Services team will come on site as part of the purchase. There's no other way to go about it.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Yep, and the on-site is required because technically EC is being sold as a PS service, and not a stand-alone piece of software. If it was being sold as a stand-alone piece of software, Federighi might get his claws into it at make it into a piece of dumbed down crapware that can only accept emoji input.

ndobric
New Contributor

Tell us how you really feel lol!

philburk
New Contributor III

They're pretty rapid with implementing feature requests, FYI. I highly recommend EC to get away from binding, just remember to implement a password policy for your clients if you do.

iJake
Valued Contributor

We have gone all in with Enterprise Connect having built our local account management and password policy enforcement around it. We are use it to ensure the "main" local account passwords are synced with AD and our other directory systems. As @philburk mentioned they are very open to feature requests and feedback on the product. If you have any specific questions let me know and I can try to answer them.

Kedgar
Contributor

Hi,

Wondering if Enterprise Connect can solve any of these issues below and replace the need for Acronis Access Connect or not. I really don't want to run 3rd party software on the servers (although we have used it in the past with success)... and with Apple deprecating AFP, I don't want to keep using it as a crutch.
- Users connecting via DFS namespace and opening files via Application dialogs (In Design) see the sysvol and netlogin folders rather than the shared folders
- Unable to unzip files directly in file shares, it does not seem to be a permissions issue as I have also tried with my domain admin credentials. I have also tried "The Unarchiver" which does not give an error, but it also does not seem to do anything.

We are using El Capitan latest patches and Windows Server 2012 R2

SeanA
Contributor III

Apple Professional Services often schedules web demos of Enterprise Connect; talk to your Apple contact about seeing when is the next demo. I would suggest having an open mind and taking a lot of questions to the demo.