Erase-install question

SMR1
Contributor III

I'm been running the script with success as long as the end user doesn't restart their mac before hand. I have a test mac on 12.3 and I deployed 12.6.2 via the script. I see in the logs that it selected 12.6.2, but the in the morning when I checked, the mac updated to 12.5.1. My question is, if the mac is older then a certain version, will it just update to the next big update regardless of selecting 12.6.2?

3 REPLIES 3

williamsad
New Contributor III

Can you post the logs in here?

Normally it will install the latest version available if nothing is defined (other than --reinstall). If an installer is already present in /Applications or cached in /Library/Management/erase-install then it will use that instead of downloading a new version. If you specify the version, use --update, or --overwrite, then it will ignore whatever local installer is present.

You can learn more about this in the wiki here

techjason
Contributor

@SMR1 I had a similar issue a few months ago with a very simple solution, but it did take me a while to figure it out. There was a deferral restriction on the computer. I would check to see if you have one that is scoped to that computer. If so, the computer will only find updates that were released before the referral date. 

Hope this helps. 

SMR1
Contributor III

We do have defer restriction in place, but it's for all devices, so they won't see any notifications. I've used the script about a dozen times on different version from 12.5 12.6 and they've all went through.