Error Connecting to File Share Distribution Point

wendlije
New Contributor II

I've setup a SMB shared folder and can successfully connect to it from my Mac with the same username and password i have added in JamfPro, but it will not connect via JamfAdmin.  It tells me it is unable to mount the Distribution point.  Do you need Internet Firewall rules for Local Distribution points?  I would assume if a Mac is inside the network it would connect otherwise it would hit the fall back location which would be JamfCloud.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

No firewall rules are needed. I think you've done the best test, which is to try connecting manually from your Mac with the same credentials. If that works, then Jamf Pro should work.

The most common issue I've seen is with the account settings in the Distribution Point record. While you may have the username and password correct, folks often misinterpret the domain as the Active Directory domain and not the NetBIOS domain.

While my Active Directory domain may look like "talkingmoose.pvt", my NetBIOS domain is "TALKINGMOOSE", the same thing I'd prefix to my logon "TALKINGMOOSE\mmoose".

If your server is not a member of a domain, you'd use the server's hostname instead.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

talkingmoose

No firewall rules are needed. I think you've done the best test, which is to try connecting manually from your Mac with the same credentials. If that works, then Jamf Pro should work.

The most common issue I've seen is with the account settings in the Distribution Point record. While you may have the username and password correct, folks often misinterpret the domain as the Active Directory domain and not the NetBIOS domain.

While my Active Directory domain may look like "talkingmoose.pvt", my NetBIOS domain is "TALKINGMOOSE", the same thing I'd prefix to my logon "TALKINGMOOSE\mmoose".

If your server is not a member of a domain, you'd use the server's hostname instead.

Jamf Community for the Win again, thank you this was the problem.