Excel .xlsx on Windows 2012 R2 SMB share

rgerman
Contributor

Hello,

We have migrated from a Mac Shares server to a Windows 2012 R2 Shares server. It has gone smoothly with one exception. When a Mac User re-saves a .xslx file to a shared folder it generates a temporary folder which is normal when saving excel files... but when the file is closed it does not delete the folder.Which is not normal.

The problem does not happen with .xls files only .xslx files. I have tested several versions of Office and Mac OS with the same results. My guess is is a permissions issue, possible to the .temporaryitems but I am not positive.

As an example the Excel file is call Test 2016.xlsx and you open it from a shared folder and hit save... it will make a folder in the same directory as the file called Test 2016.xlsx.sb-f535ac32-iM6gfn. After the .xlsx file is closed the Test 2016.xlsx.sb-f535ac32-iM6gfn folder remains.

Has anyone experienced this issue and did they find a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

5 REPLIES 5

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Ray,

similar issues with one of our customers here. I've recommended to raise a ticket with Microsoft for this case...

Regards,
Michael

ak2143
New Contributor

Just in case this is still an issue for anyone, I found this related thread on TechNet

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/2afb6fe6-07a1-47cd-9e2d-44131342a642/excel-2016-temporary-map?forum=Office2016forMac

I don't know if I love the solution, but I haven't found a better one as of now

merc_support
New Contributor III

Apologies for posting on an old thread. We're still experiencing this intermittently with Office 2016 15.38, Sierra 10.12.6.

We also applied the change as referenced above when it was first reported in our Environment. Thought this had resolved the issue but has since re-appeared.

Has anyone tested on a clean image + new user profile? I assume in most cases (like ours) macOS and Office have been upgraded with existing profiles present.

We are yet to test on High Sierra 10.13.1.

jskidmore
New Contributor III

Al I know is I have a user experiencing this exact issue with a specific excel file on a SMB Windows share. Has anyone raised a ticket with Microsoft?

al_platt
Contributor II

Ah, just stumbled onto this thread too, according to Slack this is a known bug ref 1908533.

I guess we just have to await a fix.