Exclude a mac from all Policies

Rohitds14
New Contributor III

in our environment, there are few mac which are managed by developer and do not want to receive any policies, although i want to keep them in Jamf environment.
Is there a way to exclude those macs from all the policies?
Note: we generally do not choose any sites in all the policies.(not best practice)

8 REPLIES 8

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Create a static group called “Developers” and exclude it from all your policies and configuration profiles. Don’t exclude if from update inventory though.

hdsreid
Contributor III

@jared_f is there an easy way to do this if you have a lot of policies? i have considered writing a script to iterate through all of the groups and add to exclusions, but just never got around to it.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

I just had to do this the hard way for different reasons. I ended up making a group named "Default policy exclusion group" and had that smart group be that it's in the other smart group I wanted to exclude so I can modify it later without having to go through every policy again.

Rohitds14
New Contributor III

Thanks @jared_f, Presently i am doing it that way but
its really pain to add exclusion for 100+ policies. Hope you can understand. :)

anverhousseini
Contributor II

This could help you: https://github.com/jssimporter/jss_helper/wiki

Rohitds14
New Contributor III

@anverhousseini will check that..thanks

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

How about creating a separate site just for those machines and assigning them to that site.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@hdsreid @Rohitds14 Ya, I totally get that. The last Jamf instance I managed had over 140 policies and 40 config profiles and that was just the beginning of the deployment across campus. I excluded it mainly on restriction profiles and AV policies. I also used a script to create buttons for ITS Techs to put the computer in certain groups, they are super handy but a PIA to make. Two policies per button, and multiple smart groups to update the buttons accordingly in Self Service.