Execution Frequency "OnGoing" - If sett will policies run at each check-in or only if changes to policy?

GetCart3r
New Contributor III

If we set a policy Execution Frequency to "OnGoing" will the script only apply the policy if there has been a change or not already applied to the computer?

If we have software or a configuration in place and set it to ongoing at "Recurring Check-in" will it only apply the policy once and just check if there are changes?

For example, I'd like to leave some of the software installs or preference policies available for Jamf Self Service in case they need to reinstall the option or if they make changes to something and they want the ability to re-apply the policy. Also maybe it's software we require to be installed and they remove it then the policy would kick in to re-install.

Just curious if it will keep re-installing the same policy over and over if left to "OnGoing" with "Recurring Check-in"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

If the policy is set to a frequency of On Going and Recurring Check-in it will run the policy every time the computer checks in.

What we do is, if you are pushing an app, have one policy that is set to Once per computer. Another that is set to On Going, but do not put a trigger (i.e. Recurring Check-in). This way it will be available in SS whenever they want.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

If the policy is set to a frequency of On Going and Recurring Check-in it will run the policy every time the computer checks in.

What we do is, if you are pushing an app, have one policy that is set to Once per computer. Another that is set to On Going, but do not put a trigger (i.e. Recurring Check-in). This way it will be available in SS whenever they want.

GetCart3r
New Contributor III

Thanks @DBrowning figured this was the case. I've created some policies so they would be in SS in case needed as I didn't want to set to ongoing and applying a full application at each check-in.

cmac-1
New Contributor

GetCart3r, I think what you're looking for is a more "stateful" management of certain applications.  From what I can gather, the only way to accomplish this is with a custom script that you include with the package, that checks install state for a given application and runs the necessary tasks if the application is detected missing, and if not, it does nothing.  Then you set this policy as ongoing and it won't reinstall every. single. time.  I really expected with Jamf being around for so long, this ability to be inbuilt into the gui (I can set a path to the app, etc. and mark it to check app state based on this path) but I digress.  I understand this wouldn't work for every instance, but I think it would be helpful for 75% of the applications we package today.