Extension AAttribute to show Display SN#

rdagel
New Contributor II

I am trying to create an Extension Attribute that will show the attached thunderbolt display's SN#. I know how to get the info from the command line using /usr/sbin/system_profiler | grep "Display Serial Number"

I have tried to create the Extension Attribute with no luck. Below is what I am using and it is just returning result and the SN.

Thanks

RIchard

#!/bin/sh

result=/usr/sbin/system_profiler | grep "Display Serial Number"

echo "<result>result</result>"

7 REPLIES 7

talkingmoose

Looks like you're forgetting a dollar sign for the $result variable.
On 11/30/11 6:07 PM, "San Fran Geek" <sanfrangeek at gmail.com> wrote:

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Saint Paul, MN
(651) 632-1492

bbass
Contributor

This has worked for us....

-----------

#!/bin/sh

echo "<result>$(system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType |grep "Display Serial
Number" |awk '{print $4}')</result>"

Thanks,
Brian

adthree
New Contributor III

Using the above as an example I'm really interested in an extension attribute that will actually list the output of "system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType" but playing around with greps output, removing grep altogether, etc is producing skewed results in terminal and no results in EA in Casper.

I'm learning as I go with scripting as this was never a big part of my previous job so I've been McGyver'ing scripts with good results, not so much with this though, any help or idea would be appreciated.

sean
Valued Contributor

Try this out:

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType | grep -e "^ {8}[A-Z]" -e "Display Serial Number" | sed 's/^[ ]*//' | sed -e :a -e '$!N;s/ Display Serial Number: / /;ta' -e 'P;D'

If you want to add to it:

system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType | grep -e "^ {8}[A-Z]" -e "Display Serial Number" -e "Main Display" | sed 's/^[ ]*//' | sed -e :a -e '$!N;s/ Display Serial Number: / /;ta' -e '$!N;s/ Main Display/ Main Display/;ta' -e 'P;D'

adthree
New Contributor III

@sean

Thats amazing. There is no way in hell I would've ever got to that as being my end result of trying to figure this out.

Dumping that in to terminal or creating shell script and running it locally works 100% but putting that into Casper as an extension attribute is still no bueno, is there anything i'm missing?

#!/bin/sh

result=`system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType | grep -e "^ {8}[A-Z]" -e "Display Serial Number" | sed 's/^[ 	]*//' | sed -e :a -e '$!N;s/
Display Serial Number: / /;ta' -e 'P;D'`

echo "$result"

Does it needs to be line separated for casper to recognize it? Terminal doesn't seem to mind copying/pasting that in directly. Sorry for hi-jacking @rdagel's thread, hopefully there's other casper users out there that will find this informative.

sean
Valued Contributor

The result has to be a tag

echo "<result>$result</result>"

adthree
New Contributor III

derp.

thanks @sean, in all previous attempts i had my tags but for whatever reason decided they were useless this go around. much appreciated.