Extension Attribute Adobe RUM Mach-0 executable

DebstepFRB
New Contributor III

Does anyone know how to pull the version of the actual Adobe RemoteUpdateManager? 

the binary is installed under \usr\local\bin    apparently Adobe released a new version in July 2023 ... and the version shows as 3.1.0.3  
I notice that our Creative Cloud Desktop installations are updating but the installed version of RUM doesn't seem to be updating ( currently at 2.6.0.9 ) 

the actual executable file is a Mach-0 universal executable.  using the otool -P command,  I can see that there is a plist embedded in that file but I do not know how to access if from a command to pull that info and return it from an extension attribute. 

For the Adobe gurus out there, would replacing the older RUM with the newer one be a recommended activity, or do I NEED to build\Deploy an entirely new Creative Cloud Desktop   application installer package ?? 

Thanks in advance for any assitance 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

spalmer
Contributor III

We pull this info into an Extension Attribute using the following:

#!/bin/bash

if [[ -f /usr/local/bin/RemoteUpdateManager ]]; then
	result=`/usr/local/bin/RemoteUpdateManager --help | grep version | awk -F":" '{ print $2 }' | awk -F" " '{ print $1 }'`
elif [[ -f /usr/sbin/RemoteUpdateManager ]]; then
	result="Unknown"
else
	result="Not Installed"
fi

echo "<result>$result</result>"

You may not need all of this.  At some point many years ago Adobe changed the location that RemoteUpdateManager gets installed to so we needed to check both locations.  And IIRC the old version didn't even report the version info via the CLI either, so in that case we just report "Unknown" indicating it was installed but no version info is available.

View solution in original post

DebstepFRB
New Contributor III

Thank you!, that was one way I  was thinking of approaching it and I appreciate your syntax help. 
I also came up with this line to pull the version: 

#!/bin/bash
	result=$(launchctl plist "/usr/local/bin/RemoteUpdateManager"  | awk '/CFBundleVersion/' | awk '{print $3}' | sed s/\"//g | sed s/\,//g)
else
	result="Not Installed"
fi

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MatG
Contributor III

I would ask this on the Adobe channel
https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/C0653D6F9

DebstepFRB
New Contributor III

Thank you 
I am currently exploring using launchctl plist ....

spalmer
Contributor III

We pull this info into an Extension Attribute using the following:

#!/bin/bash

result=`/usr/local/bin/RemoteUpdateManager --help | grep version | awk -F":" '{ print $2 }' | awk -F" " '{ print $1 }'`
elif [[ -f /usr/sbin/RemoteUpdateManager ]]; then
	result="Unknown"
else
	result="Not Installed"
fi

You may not need all of this.  At some point many years ago Adobe changed the location that RemoteUpdateManager gets installed to so we needed to check both locations.  And IIRC the old version didn't even report the version info via the CLI either, so in that case we just report "Unknown" indicating it was installed but no version info is available.

DebstepFRB
New Contributor III

Thank you!, that was one way I  was thinking of approaching it and I appreciate your syntax help. 
I also came up with this line to pull the version: 

#!/bin/bash
	result=$(launchctl plist "/usr/local/bin/RemoteUpdateManager"  | awk '/CFBundleVersion/' | awk '{print $3}' | sed s/\"//g | sed s/\,//g)
else
	result="Not Installed"
fi

pete_c
Contributor III

I always repackage and distribute RUM rather than rely (hope) that ACC handles it.

DebstepFRB
New Contributor III

Thank You, It does seem that the acc updates are not updating the RUM.