Extension Attribute for Position field for User

bfrench
Contributor III

I am looking to create an extension attribute to show what is in the Position field for a User. It seems to be the only way to add an additional field for Users.

I can use the Position field to make Smart Groups, but it does not show in the list of all users.

To Clarify:
Our Position field is populated from our AD and includes the student graduation year. I can make a Smart Group from this information, but I would also like to see the information appear when I look at All Users. There is not a way to add a field for Users like there is for device inventory. Not sure if adding an extension attribute here would even show what I want when looking at all users - but is the only field available to add when looking at users.

Thanks to all!

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Can you clarify if you mean the User & Location section of a Computer record, or just when looking up Users in the JSS web app?
In either case, we map Position to a field in our LDAP environment, so this gets populated from AD for us, whether in a Mac record, or in a User record.
Are you talking about local only accounts and not something from LDAP?

pat_best
Contributor III

If I understand correctly, the request is for an extension attribute to read the position field in the Users tab. Do you not want to create an extension attribute to create a new field? I just created an extension attribute that is a drop down list to separate student and staff devices. I am able to scope a smart group to this field. This sounds like exactly what you need.... a768d95988df41efba0db729386bac26
dd1435e8f98e48bebe51ea0cf4587e4d
Just make sure you click "all criteria" at the bottom of the criteria list when creating a new smart group to show your extension attributes. Hope this helps!

pat_best
Contributor III

On a side note, I don't see how to edit what is displayed when viewing all users or in any grouping...