External IP address being logged instead of Internal

stibebu
New Contributor II

So I've got to be missing something here. Running 8.51

I've setup network segments, but in one location for example (still in testing mode with the JSS) the IP address for all of my systems in that network are the same 1 external IP. The internal IP address is not what is being logged into the JSS therefore making the network segment useless.

What am I doing wrong?....

So a thought as I was typing this.... Would i have to configure site-to-site VPN (or MPLS like structure) for all my locations in order for the JSS to see those segments? That's not something we need to do. So I'm hoping there is a setting or something where I can log the actual DHCP assigned IP of the network interface, as the IP address for that system in the JSS, thus making network segments work!

Any help is much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm no network person, but I think the router is responsible for forwarding the correct IP address to the JSS. I suspect the one at that location is not configured properly. If I'm not mistaken, there is a function called X-Forward IP, or something like that, that can be configured for things like load balancers and routers which may help resolve this.

stibebu
New Contributor II

Makes sense. I'm looking into the router now. The one I'm having an issue with is a test environment with a consumer class router so you may be exactly right. I'll reply with my findings if that's it.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

we have that issue with consumer grade routers/cable modems when folks VPN from home...

mmatz
New Contributor II

I am having this same trouble. Our JSS is hosted at an external site. All of our clients report the public IP instead of their internal IP address. We have an ASA 5510 firewall. I was not able to find to find any IP forwarding functions or protocols built into this firewall. Has anyone else experienced this with an ASA and found how to fix it?