[Feature Request] more robust policy log options

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Jamf and everyone,

I would like to have the ability to set certain policy log settings. I would like to flag certain policies to flush logs once a week, some once a day, some once a month, and some to never. I have some policies that will hit systems constantly. They are policies that will check for something and then trigger a manual trigger policy if need be. These sort of policies I don't need robust and lengthy logging on. I know they hit every system, and I know they do it sometimes several times a day.

My database is around 13 to 14 gigs in size with all my logs in the JSS database. When I flush out the policies that don't need robust logging it drops to around 9 gigs. I am sure I could even fine tune this feature into making my database even smaller and more efficient.

So, when I create a policy, if there were a log section where I could set the logging level and the frequency of it being flushed would be great. It would also be yet another way to automate a task I have to do at work. I set logging on policy to never delete because there are a few, very few logs, that I need to keep some records on, while others I don't want to keep any record of.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Tom

1 REPLY 1

localhorst
Contributor

Hi,

On 19 Aug 2010, at 15:17, Thomas Larkin wrote:

I like your thoughts, but I would prefer loghandling by syslog. This would enable everyone to filter, store and rotate logs as required using the standard Unix tools.

Best,
Marko

--

Marko Jung
NSMS - Oxford University Computing Services
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/nsms