File Vault 2 Issue

Mitch260488
New Contributor II

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a File Vault 2 Issue.

Any machine that is imaged via Casper on 10.7 or 10.8 can't encrypt with File Vault 2. I get the follow errors.

1: Boot File Not Written / Found
2: FileVault Can't Be Turned On for the Disk

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mitch

8 REPLIES 8

sprattp
New Contributor II

Hi

For Filevault to work you need the Apple recovery partition to be there, you can test this by typing in diskutil list into a terminal window. If it's not there then there are instruction on the Jamf site on how to create as part of the imaging process.

Phil

Mitch260488
New Contributor II

Hi Phil,

I have check this and this is a recovery partition in place on the system,

Thanks

M

barnesaw
Contributor III

My guess would be that, while the Recovery partition is present, it is not a healthy recovery partition.

This is why we don't image the OS post-10.6. With a modern net connection, internet recovery is just as effective and individual policies work wonders to restore all software.

sprattp
New Contributor II

Hi Mitch

Does sound like the recovery partion may be at fault, sorry if you have tried this. But use jamf work instructions to re-create the recovery partition (even if there is one already there). Can be found at https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=173

Phil

shyam9490
New Contributor II

Hi Mitch,

Kindly check wether you have all the Kext files in Extensions folder, If IOUSBMassStorageClass are any other kext file is missing, you will get this error.

Replace the kext file and propagate the permission to all the subfolders. And try to enable the file vault

qsodji
Contributor

Hi Mitch,
See if you can enable Find my Mac, usually that is an indicator of a bad recovery partition.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

cgiordano
Contributor

The big question I have is, how are you capturing your images? If you're using something like Disk Utility you need to make sure that you capture the entire disk and not just the boot partition. Once you do that you should be fine.

Disk Utility is great if you have a "Golden Image" that you'd like to lay down, JAMF calls it "monolithic" imaging and that's totally fine, however once you get into Yosemite that goes out the window because you can't capture the recovery partition.

That's where AutoDMG might come in to help you out. The cool thing about AutoDMG is that all you need initially is to have the Install OS X Yosemite.app downloaded to the computer to create the DMG installer. To me, the very best aspect of AutoDMG, is that when creating a new DMG it'll also apply all of the OS updates at the same time so you'll always be installing the latest version of Yosemite every single time you make a new DMG.

AutoDMG download: https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG/releases
Steps on how to use AutoDMG for Yosemite: http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/create-clean-osx-10-10-yosemite-image-using-autodmg/

Good luck!
Chris