Filevault with AFPS

roiegat
Contributor III

So we've been deploying FileVault using the following command:
diskutil cs convert $startupDevice -passphrase $password

So in getting ready for High Sierra, I'm looking at APFS. When running that command on the new file system, it gets the following error:
"Error coverting disk to CoreStoage: A GUID Paritition Table partitioning scheme is required"

Now understandably the GUID is different, but looking for a command that similar to the top that we can use on APFS. I'll have to update the script to reflect that.

Also, does anyone know if new machines from Apple come with APFS?

6 REPLIES 6

al_platt
Contributor II

Depends what sort of drive is inside.

Fusion at the moment is still going to be HFS

Anything with just an SSD i'd assume will be APFS as "You can't opt out of the transition to APFS when you upgrade a Mac with all-flash storage to macOS High Sierra."

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207828

Are you not better using fdesetup to enable Filevault anyway?

Although saying that I turned off filevault yesterday on a 2016 TB MBP and it took all night. Re Enabling this morning it's now at around 80% done telling me more than a day remaining - APFS and filevault, slow doesn't even come close.

jconte
Contributor II

We also use Filevault here via a Self Service policy. I noticed the encryption took a lot longer (like 10 times longer) than 10.12 on the same device only difference being APFS. I also noticed that the conversion to APFS got me back close to 18gb.

roiegat
Contributor III

Does anyone know if new machines from Apple will come with APFS enabled on new Macs?

jdye
New Contributor III

@roiegat We had one arrive a few days ago that still had 10.12 installed. I believe it will depend on the manufacture date.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Sorta off topic, but I am having trouble figuring out how to turn an APFS-formatted drive back to HFS+ so we can image it. The only thing that's worked for me is erasing the drive and trying to Casper Image it, which will go through the motions of block-copying and caching the packages, but then it reboots back to my boot image. From there, it will work.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@alexjdale

In my beta testing I would erase the APFS partition then formate the drive with one of the windows choices, then re-formate with HFS+.Not the best solution but it was the fastest I could figure out..

C