firefox and cck

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

So I am going to post this here as well....

I am repacking up Firefox 4 for the newest image. I want to add in Public Fox, which password protects Firefox from anyone accessing the preferences. I want to install it globally, and I want all settings to apply to all users period. However, I am having a hard time finding documentation on how to do this.

I get the CCK wizard, I get the global extension installs, but what I don't quite wrap my head around is how to make sure my extensions keep their configurations/settings globally no matter what user logs in, or what profile gets deleted, etc.

If CCK locked down more Firefox preferences I would probably not use Public Fox. However, there are some features of Public Fox that I like and it is maintained and updated fairly well so far over the years.

So, how would I configure several extensions and then use CCK to create a global profile to then chop up in Composer and mass deploy?

Thanks,

Tom

3 REPLIES 3

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

Check my luggage makefile for some ideas: https://github.com/tspgit/luggage/blob/master/firefox-extension/Makefile

Also, Greg Neagle's blog post shows where the global extensions go: http://managingosx.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/firefox-global-extensions-again/

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I have read all of Negale's posts on the subject but he never covers actually applying settings to these extensions. It looks like it still prompts users to install them and it still does fresh installs, with no settings applied. I am going to check out your link now.

thanks,

Tom

talkingmoose

I've never added any add-ons to Firefox, so I can't help you with that.
On 5/16/11 10:08 AM, "Thomas Larkin" <tlarki at kckps.org> wrote:
However, when you deploy your configuration you'll want to put your
preferences in the top level /Library folder and not each user's ~/Library
folder. Doing so enforces the preference settings that you want to manage.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492