Flakey iCloud Restore

RLR
Valued Contributor

So we're in the process of swapping out 700+ iPads. We finding a lot of our users are running into 2 issues:

1) After the restore the iPad has to install the DEP configuration profile. The iPad gets stuck on the screen saying Installing Config Profile. We can press back but when we do this the iPad crashes and comes back to the same place. So the only choice we've got is to plug it into iTunes/AC2 and erase the device and try again.

2) A lot of our users are finding their restored apps crash upon opening. Very similar to the Auto App Update issue but we have this turned off so this can't be the reason. Must be something to do with the restore.

Has anyone else had anything similar or know of anything we can do to stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RLR
Valued Contributor

I think this issue was fixed by installing a new built-in certificate. Somehow ours had disappeared.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

murph
New Contributor III

@RLR We are having the same issue with #1 as you are having. Users restoring from an iCloud backup on a new device crashes the system. Backing up old device in iTunes and doing a restore on new device allows everything to work fine.

This is even happening on backups coming from non-supervised devices being restored onto the new DEP enrolled device.

RLR
Valued Contributor

I think this issue was fixed by installing a new built-in certificate. Somehow ours had disappeared.

bcampbell
Contributor

We were having the same issue only when the old iPad was unsupervised (didn't have DEP when they were deployed). It improved by upgrading the old iPad to iOS 9.3.3 before backing up to iCloud then restoring it to an iOS 9.3.3 iPad (in DEP) The new, replacement, iPad ends up supervised.

murph
New Contributor III

@RLR Did you ever come up with solution for this?

I'm having this again today trying to do an icloud restore onto 2 AC+ replacement units and it still gets stuck at the configuration screen.

RLR
Valued Contributor

@smurphyusd346 It turned out to be our Apache Tomcat Settings SSL certificate. This can be found in Settings > System Settings > Apache Tomcat Settings. Not sure why the ssl certificate disappeared but it's happened a couple of times now. Just re-creating a new one fixed it.