Force OneDrive Manage Backups

mykool
New Contributor III

Has anyone been able to force the new manage backups in OneDrive? I can't for the life of me get it to work, using both PLIST and JSON. I can get it to force other settings but not the backups. Here is my configuration. Tenant ID has been removed for obvious reasons. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>DisableTutorial</key>
    <true/>
    <key>DefaultFolderLocation</key>
    <array>
      <dict>
        <key>TenantID</key>
        <string>Tentant ID Here</string>
        <key>DefaultFolderPath</key>
        <string>~/</string>
      </dict>
    </array>
    <key>HideDockIcon</key>
    <true/>
    <key>OpenAtLogin</key>
    <true/>
    <key>EnableAddAccounts</key>
    <true/>
    <key>FilesOnDemandEnabled</key>
    <false/>
    <key>KFMSilentOptIn</key>
    <string>Tentant ID Here</string>
    <key>KFMSilentOptInDesktop</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KFMSilentOptInDocuments</key>
    <true/>
    <key>KFMBlockOptOut</key>
    <true/>
  </dict>
</plist>

14 REPLIES 14

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mykool That functionality isn't in production yet, and is currently only available when OneDrive Insider Preview is enabled

mykool
New Contributor III

I'm on the insider preview.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 1.04.44 PM.png

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mykool If you select the Backup tab what does it display? If it shows a banner "Your IT Department Wants You to Back Up Your Important Folders" then you've got KFM activated. If not, support for native KFM may not have rolled out to your tenant yet (but that seems odd since it's been rolling out for a while now)

mykool
New Contributor III

Yes, I can get that to work but I want to silently force it, where they can't opt out and it just selects it. Maybe it's just buggy with it being in preview still. I'm going to try on another device and see if I get the same results. 

ib-ittech
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

Can you please confirm that the Backup tab will appear only after enabling the OneDrive Insider Preview option?
After I manually put a tick mark I get the Backup tab and Desktop/Documents sync works just fine.

I'm curious is it possible to get the Backup tab function available without going first to the OneDrive Insider Preview?

Thank you in advance.

dmccluskey
Contributor

you need Preview enabled to use KFM

this is the plist to enable it

com.microsoft.OneDriveUpdater

<key>EnableFasterRingUpdate</key> <true/> </dict> </plist>

mykool
New Contributor III

As I stated above, I am on the Preview, but thanks. 

mykool
New Contributor III

I managed to get it to work on an Intel device, however, I have an M1 with the same OS, config profiles, same OneDrive version, both on insider preview and the M1 won't force the backups. Very weird. 

Joostvantwout
New Contributor III

@mykool do you mind sharing the xml/plist file? I'm struggling to get this working for my environment.
Want to enable KFM for intel + ARM but cannot get the Back-up section available.

TheHoff
New Contributor III

It looks like the functionality has made it to production. But I cannot figure out how to enable invisibly for our users. I have created a PPPC to enable full disk access, but the activation of the Backup function in OneDrive does not seem to work.

Is there a .plist or script out there somewhere that solves this issue for us?

Since I am new to editing plist files this way, where would I find my Tenant ID and String (as in the @mykool example above)

user-IHEFpMchHd
New Contributor

I found that the new plist file with:

<key>KFMSilentOptIn</key> 
<string> ----tenant id--- </string>
<key>KFMSilentOptInWithNotification</key>
<true/>

would not work until I had run a script to remove the current OneDrive .plist along with the cached ones and then initiated a restart. 

rm -Rf /Users/*/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.OneDrive.plist
rm -Rf /Users/*/Library/Caches/com.microsoft.OneDrive
rm -Rf /Users/*/Library/Caches/OneDrive
rm -Rf /Users/*/Library/Caches/com.microsoft.OneDriveStandaloneUpdater

For me this is still in testing mode as I first need to make sure all devices are using the latest version of OneDrive.

I plan to push a script to quit OneDrive then remove the relevant files, then install the latest OneDrive using installomator and then finally restart the device.

I have successfully done this on a couple of test devices using the script as a self service item and it has worked for silently enabling backup.

I just figured this out for my org. I used the example in the initial post and added/changed some choices from Microsoft's article: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/deploy-and-configure-on-macos

the key here is after applying the profile, the user also needs a config for onedrive to have full disk access. easiest way is PPPC utility. Once the PPPC config and the onedrive forced sync config are pushed to the user, they need to either restart their Mac or sign out and sign back in to onedrive for the plist to kick in.

Joostvantwout
New Contributor III

is this in production already? or just on the inside preview?