Forced Password Renewal blocks Screensaver

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi
I have setup a profile that forces the user to change his local account password every 30 days. This works perfectly fine except for the situation where the machine is in Screensaver in the moment the password change request is initiated. When this is the case the screensaver can't be unlocked with the password and the only solution is to force reboot the machine or connect over ssh and set a new password.

Like this it setting is really causing serious problems to the users. Any solutions to this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yes, this is also how Apple handles the "forced password change" setting in Active Directory.

If this works the same way and you have User Switching enabled, the user can "Switch User" to the login screen and log back in again, then they will be prompted to change their password as usual. The existing session is not lost and they will be logged back into it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Tobias,

I think this is an Apple "issue" I am seeing the same behavior. If you have access to Apple support please open a ticket.

: )

Thanks

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yes, this is also how Apple handles the "forced password change" setting in Active Directory.

If this works the same way and you have User Switching enabled, the user can "Switch User" to the login screen and log back in again, then they will be prompted to change their password as usual. The existing session is not lost and they will be logged back into it.

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Alex
This is an awesome workaround for my problem. Thanks so much!

htse
Contributor III

You can unlock the screensaver as an admin with option+enter
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5145

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

Rumor has it that this was fixed in X.10 : )

C

ifbell
Contributor

What OS ver. are you running?

With 10.9.5 we have seen similar. If the local user is in the screen saver or brings the machine out of sleep and the password has expired the local user puts in the password and the login box just shakes. From what Apple has told me this is expected behavior and the only way to get around the issue if you do not have do user switching is to power down power up and then the user gets prompted for a password change.

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

But I don't have a power down option in the screensaver. So I can't switch it off. The solution with the fast user switching seems to work fine though.