Freshservice Agent install with json file.

gloper1977
Contributor

Our company is moving to Freshservice. Working on a policy to push the Freshservice agent to all our Macs. The Agnet is a pkg file and that installs fine but I can't figure out how to make it reference the json file for the registration key and account info. I tried using Composer to create a custom pkg but it flat out doesn't work. Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SmilieK
New Contributor III

This is how I solved it with a site I worked with.
Put all 3 files in composer and then in postinstall, run both installers in the correct order.

065b5e76f95e471aabac7929bdddba14

e988998a815a46749184de6b1803d256

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

hleahy
New Contributor

Running into the same issue over here. It says that it is able to successfully install the package and looks like it is going to work, but never reports back to FreshService.

SmilieK
New Contributor III

This is how I solved it with a site I worked with.
Put all 3 files in composer and then in postinstall, run both installers in the correct order.

065b5e76f95e471aabac7929bdddba14

e988998a815a46749184de6b1803d256

gloper1977
Contributor

Thanks for the response I will try this out and see if I can get it going.

gloper1977
Contributor

Smiliek Thanks so much for your recommendation I followed what you did and it worked perfectly!

cheungm
New Contributor

Hi, where did you get the FreshserviceAgent.pkg? I only received the other 2 files.

gloper1977
Contributor

You create it once you build that PKG, do the file copy to the directory then you drag the freshly created FreshserviceAgent.pkg into Composer and drop it in the folder structure. Then you hit build as PKG again and that is your final package. I was confused at first too till I tried that, never would have thought about doing something like that.

cheungm
New Contributor

That works. Thanks.

ashdavely
New Contributor

This is my first time using composer trying to accomplish this. Can you provide some additional steps to get this going?

gloper1977
Contributor

Start out by creating a Normal Snapshot, Name it what you like I named it similar to what SmilieK did. After the the snapshot copy the files to a folder easily accessible. I actually put it in /Users/Shared/tmp Once you have the files copied click Create Package Source. When it is finished you will see the file structure. Drag your newly created package into Composer so it adds it to folder structure. Then click Build as PKG. The create your script which actually installs the agent based on SmilieK's example script. Obviously you want to edit the file path if you aren't using what he did. It worked perfectly for me.

pooja_ash_vv
New Contributor II

what can i do if I want to prioritize the files? I want json file to be placed in specific location before running the installer

gloper1977
Contributor

You just need to follow your order of operations when using Composer.  

Jsynotte
New Contributor II

I've tried that solution, it work when it's a fresh install, but when it's to replace a previous version, it doesn't sync with Freshservice, someone have a solution for that ? 

bayareaautomato
New Contributor II

Any updates on this? Desperately trying but the agents don't check in to FS backend. -___-

Jsynotte
New Contributor II

Finally this way have work, I don't know why, but only my Mac doesn't work, all the rest in the company have work

What I've done, I've created a folder in the /Library/Application Support/[Business Name]/Fresh Service/ and I've dropped the FS-Agent folder inside it with the json and pkg

Drag the FS-Agent folder in composer, and Apply the permission of the Application Folder to all subfolder

Create the package, that I called FreshServiceAgent.pkg, that package will cache the installer

When the package is done, drag the package in /Library/Application Support/[Business Name]/Fresh Service folder in repackage it. 

Greenshot 2022-08-04 11.12.34.png

I've used this script to perform the installation that I run after

#!/bin/sh
## postinstall

wait 10
/usr/sbin/installer -allowUntrusted -pkg "/Library/Application Support/[Your Company Name]/FreshService/FreshserviceAgent.pkg" -target /

wait 10
/usr/sbin/installer -allowUntrusted -pkg "/Library/Application Support/[Your Company Name]/FreshService/FS-Agent/FS-Agent.pkg" -target /

exit 0

I hope it will help you

SeanT
New Contributor

Hey there, I'm new to using composer. Where did you input the script?

I created the script in Jamf Pro console under All Setting => Computer Management => Scripts.  Then when creating the policy add that script to run after.  It will then exicute after it downloads the package.

Thanks for the response! I  was able to package the script in composer without having to enter it in the Jamf Pro console. Regardless, your step by step instructions were very helpful and concise. I was able to get it up and running! Thanks!

iradev
New Contributor

Hi all,

We have an issue of deploying the Fresh Service Agent over MAC machines. We have followed the suggested steps as above, but it is not working as expected. The steps were follow to use the Composer and to set up the file as supposed to be. Seeing the following log from JAMF:

iradev_1-1670588859179.png
Can you advise what could be perform to resolve the issue? 

We are seeing it as a report to be Completed, but the file is not deployed

iradev_2-1670589147597.png

mchernin
New Contributor

We are starting to use the Asset Management module in Freshservice and used the Jamf app/integration to get all our Macs and iPads into FS. This way the assets don't count against the limit. What is the advantage of using the agent instead of the free integration?

Jsynotte
New Contributor II

We need to be Jamf Cloud to use the asset management module. So if we are on-prem, we need another solution like the one in this post