Frustrating Admin permissions required after Self Service download

bozemans
New Contributor III

We are attempting to put a java based simulation script on the client machines using Self Service. I tested it on a client machine in the lab and it worked fine. But when my students attempt to download and use this tool they are required to have admin permission use the simulation after they download it from Self Service. Any ideas how to work around this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wllieu
New Contributor II

Did you package it through composer? Below the composer, you can set permission to everyone under group and give them write access. Not sure if this will works.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

wllieu
New Contributor II

Did you package it through composer? Below the composer, you can set permission to everyone under group and give them write access. Not sure if this will works.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@bozemans

The most common cause for this is the time on the device differing significantly (as in more than 5 minutes) from the time on the JSS' machine; if we haven't yet checked to see if there is a significant mismatch between the two, that would be a good place to start.

Please let us know if that helps.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

bozemans
New Contributor III

We were able to find the PHET files at their site. I created a pkg through composer and was able to get them the Java based files without them having to use a web browser, which I found out was the real issue. I also was able to built Java updates that allowed them to run them properly.

adminNWA
New Contributor III

I just had a teacher request the Phet Alpha Decay java applet. Because it is not an App I'm not sure how I should manage the install. Should I just place it on the desktop, or add it to the student doc? I figured I would have to repackage in composer for the install but I had not considered needing to change the file permissions. bozemans, can you elaborate on the solution you got working.