Official Apple guideline on backing up and restoring a DEP iPad?

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Hi everyone,

Is there an official (or at least semi-official) guideline from Apple on how to properly back up a user's iPad to their iCloud when the device is DEP and supervised, and then restore this backup on another DEP device?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Seriously? Does no one need this?

thejenbot
Contributor III

We do this, but I don't know about any official guidelines from Apple or anyone else...? What is it that you're looking to know?

saarora
New Contributor

I don't have actual documentation but this is what both Apple and JAMF told me for a migration of MDMs.

OLD MDM Supervision Backup > NEW MDM (via DEP) Supervision > Restore to an alternate device
OLD MDM
Supervision Backup > NEW MDM (via DEP) No Supervision > Restore to same device

In a pinch.. OLD MDM + Supervision > Remove old DEP Profile > Enroll into MDM via MobileConfig > You still keep Supervision; caveat - when you need to do a backup/restore you need to do it on an alternate device, hence why Apple says you need to switch devices to do backup/restores, because it's true.

Otherwise you can do backup/restores via iCloud all day and keep your Supervision.
Also make sure your DEP profile doesn't skip the Backup and Restore option during PreStage. There's not much else to do this process.

gracetyler
New Contributor III

Agree that official documentation on iCloud backup/restores on managed devices would be great. Especially if it includes implications for VPP eBook licences.